Enviro-climber issues

NEWSTIPS

Hello Cascade Climbers!

I am writing to solicit more story ideas from any of you who have an issue that you think affects your community and needs some media attention.

We appreciate the help we received from you recently regarding stories we did not only about the Climbers who were jumped at Squamish, but also the car breakins at one of the lots frequented by climbers.

If you've got any other issues you think deserve attention, please let me know so I can persevere to educate our viewers (and myself in process) about climbing and other issues that affect climbers even if they don't directly relate to climbing.

And just so you know, I continue to attempt to make our Police spokespersons draw a distinction between hikers and climbers when they talk about SAR operations.

Thanks.

Elizabeth Berman

Assignment Editor

KING 5 TV

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a certain Forest Service Ranger In the Leavenworth who likes to harass climbers and other outdoor enthusiast. I can give you his name from the ticket he wrote me on Saturday but he has been nicknamed Larry the Tool on this site and has been discussed many times. After being harassed by him last weekend, I think you could easily produce a compelling story as to the Forest Service and their interactions/lack of community relations with outdoor enthusiasts.

TimL said:

There is a certain Forest Service Ranger In the Leavenworth who likes to harass climbers and other outdoor enthusiast. I can give you his name from the ticket he wrote me on Saturday but he has been nicknamed Larry the Tool on this site and has been discussed many times. After being harassed by him last weekend, I think you could easily produce a compelling story as to the Forest Service and their interactions/lack of community relations with outdoor enthusiasts.

Tell us a story Tim! wave.gif

I was in Leavenworth yesterday doing some Access Fund outreach at the Ranger Service office, and one of the lead rangers there, he is a climber from the old school and mentioned going to festivals in Wyoming when he was younger because "that's where all the climbers had the most going on" and "they had the biggest shindigs"

maybe there is a misimpression about rangers and climbers that needs to be covered as a story newstips...

what's also interesting is they don't have a big problem with user established treads being developed in the wilderness, as long as they don't impact threatened species and are low impact...

interesting, fresh perspectives even I didn't know the Leavenworth RS possessed...

beck

there is no misinterpeataion between climbers and larry inthout. he is a grade a dick. he is saractic and extremely condescending to all whom he encounters. he is not a climber, he is fat.

he is little concerend with or what you are, he is into showing his force.

he is a law enforcement ranger, and not a beaucrat. though i do personally despise them all(maybe not as a person, but certainly as an offical.)

erik said:

beck

there is no misinterpeataion between climbers and larry inthout. he is a grade a dick. he is saractic and extremely condescending to all whom he encounters. he is not a climber, he is fat.

he is little concerend with or what you are, he is into showing his force.

he is a law enforcement ranger, and not a beaucrat. though i do personally despise them all(maybe not as a person, but certainly as an offical.)

thumbs_up.gif

He's the only prick I have ever encountered but according to mattp his superiors approve of his work.

He defines the word harrassment.

By the way- what is the deadline because I would like to contribute about larry the tool.

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

news media doesnt often do stories about "dickhead authority" figures, but good luck, gents...

my experience in Lwurst is always a positive one. then again, I have a parking pass. too bad I don't own a timber company or I bet I could get some roads built right to the good "vert" wether it was wood or rock...

hmm, a timber company...

Beck said:

news media doesnt often do stories about "dickhead authority" figures, but good luck, gents...

my experience in Lwurst is always a positive one. then again, I have a parking pass. too bad I don't own a timber company or I bet I could get some roads built right to the good "vert" wether it was wood or rock...

hmm, a timber company...

whatever dude.

He doesnt harrass just parking violators.

I think you need to meet the guy to understand. So obviously you dont know what you are talking about when it comes to this dude.

If they dont want to publish it they can tell us. But I would not mind bringing some serious attention his way if I can. There's a TON of folks out here that have been harrassed by this one person.

IT IS a climber issue but it may not be enviro...

One could also argue that he should be patrolling securing the parking lot instead of harrassing the parkers who get their cars broken into.

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

good point ray. how many tickets for non complienece on the fee demo program where issued during the period of time when all the vehicles in the scw parking lot were broken into?

maybe the parking fees could go towards paying the victims dedectibles. i am sure they have enought machine guns bullets to protect the trees.

erik said:

good point ray. how many tickets for non complienece on the fee demo program where issued during the period of time when all the vehicles in the scw parking lot were broken into?

maybe the parking fees could go towards paying the victims dedectibles. i am sure they have enought machine guns bullets to protect the trees.

Several reasons I dont visit Lworth as much these days..

If you've got any other issues you think deserve attention, please let me know so I can persevere to educate our viewers (and myself in process) about climbing and other issues that affect climbers even if they don't directly relate to climbing.

I believe Larry falls into this area. Even hikers could be harrassed.

now THATS an interesting story IM editorial O.

LEOs giving tickets while cars get broken into

response "our primary LEO responsability to the users of public lands is giving tickets to people not using the parking lots correctly." which I presume, would also include car breakins, but if indeed it is not that way, that's news.

I’m sure climbers are a large percentage of the people Larry harasses are climbers, but lets not forget if he harasses climbers then he is bound to harass others as well. I think that this website is a forum were climbers can discuss the subjects while other groups might be more widely scattered. Yeah, and lets not forget him giving fee demo tickets while cars are getting broken into. Really, where can he be found when there is actually a crime being commited.

Another part of this story is the constant negative attitude of the areas camp ground attendants. I can name a few incidents in which they spoken negatively towards a group of people or just plain harass others.

Yeah, and lets not forget him giving fee demo tickets while cars are getting broken into. Really, where can he be found when there is actually a crime being commited.

Spot on. Although I bet the cars actually get broken into durin the night hours. But he IS a law enforcement official and breaking into cars and stealing personal items should be considered more of a problem than parking pass violators in my mind. I think most would agree.

To think back over the last few years it seems anyone that climbs snow creek wall and parks in the fee parking lot might have run into this guy if they got unlucky. I bet there are about 15 people or more that could testify to this guy's harrassment. And just a few weeks ago I read about 20 cars or so getting windows smashed in and items stolen including wallets cell phones or whatever.

Perhaps a simpler solution to aid or detract thievery there would be for a sherrif to make a number of stops in the night hours in the parking area..

ANOTHER GOOD POINT TIM. THE PRIVATIZATION OF THE FOREST SERVICE CAMPGROUNDS HAS BROUGHT IN OLD PEOPLE WHO FIND IT UPON THEMSELVES TO ACT AS THE DIRECT AUTHORITY. THEY WAKE YOU UP AT UNGODLY HOURS TO ENSURE YOUR COMPLIANCE WITH THE FEE. THE FEE INCREASED SINCE THE PRIVATIZATION HAS OCCURED AS WELL.

THE OLD PEOPLE PROVIDE NOTHING TO THE CAMP GROUND EXCEPT A SNITCH AND A FEE GUBBER. THEY DONT CLEAN UP, THEY DO NOT OFFER INTERPETIVE GUIDES OR ANYTHING RELATED. THEY GET TO STAY AT THE CAMPGROUND FOR THE SEASON.

THIS IS BULLSHIT. I DO NOT NEED MY GAMMY MAKING SURE I AM CAMPING PROPERLY.

fredrogers said:

Well, it was about 11PM when he rousted us last weekend for our "illegal" bivvy. Maybe he should have spent some time in the Snow Creek oparking lot, along with the 2 other rangers who showed up to help write tickets. smileysex5.gif

That's an interesting new tactic of harrassment for my ears. I did not think larry was around that late and if he was he should be concerned about security of cars considering my comments above.

I dont camp in the campgrounds during peak season any more but I can feel the love of grammy and grampy getting a free ride for the season but I think it is a lesser issue than larry the tool... Which also leaves me subjected to meeting him on my next "illegal" bivy there.

I recall earlier this season camping "illegally" and 2 rangers came by to notify us of the bridge going under construction and being nice fellows. Why can't more be like these 2 guys I met. I dont think they were the Law enforcement type...