Not that I'd do this, but...

allthumbs

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I have ridden on and off since I was six. I have never used spurs or a whip on an animal. If you can not handle the animal, you should not ride it. with out horses civilization would not have progressed. they are amazing and beautiful creatures with a copasity for work and strength that is inspiring. think what you like

I could be way off base here, and definetely off topic, and I am too lazy to look it up and see if I am right...

Even if you never used any spurs or whips (on horses that is) isn't there a pretty good chance that the horse had to broken when it was young, and doesn't that involve some kind of physical *abuse?

*no judgment intended in choice of word

Fejas said:

erik said:

horses were introduced to this country by man. they are not natural upon the landscape. wild burros and horses are the number one natural cause for destruction to public lands. shoot them all and feed them to the homeless.

Oh erik, The Appaloosa which is native to Idaho, Washington, and Oregon; it came across the the ice bridge many many years ago along with camels and such... camels have long been extinct do to the killing nature of the Clovis people. but horses did survive the epidemic known as man, but mammoths, camels, along with many other mammals native to the eastern contenates didn't.... so really it depends on what type of breed your talking about that determines weather or not horses are native or not... they definitely are to our part of the country...

Uh, Fejas, you better check your facts. I'm pretty sure that horses are not native to North America. All the horses that run wild are descendants of those lost by early Spanish and subsequent explorers and settlers. There were horses here many thousands of years ago, but not when Europeans first "discovered" the continent.

snoboy said:

trask said:

Breaking a young horse doesn't have to involve physical abuse.

I'm sure some handlers are abusive, but they're probably assholes in life too.

COOL! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifrockband.gifsnaf.gifwave.gif

broken horeses are spiritless. They are truely broken. A good animal is well trained "gentled" as it were.

catbirdseat said:

Fejas said:

erik said:

horses were introduced to this country by man. they are not natural upon the landscape. wild burros and horses are the number one natural cause for destruction to public lands. shoot them all and feed them to the homeless.

Oh erik, The Appaloosa which is native to Idaho, Washington, and Oregon; it came across the the ice bridge many many years ago along with camels and such... camels have long been extinct do to the killing nature of the Clovis people. but horses did survive the epidemic known as man, but mammoths, camels, along with many other mammals native to the eastern contenates didn't.... so really it depends on what type of breed your talking about that determines weather or not horses are native or not... they definitely are to our part of the country...

Uh, Fejas, you better check your facts. I'm pretty sure that horses are not native to North America. All the horses that run wild are descendants of those lost by early Spanish and subsequent explorers and settlers. There were horses here many thousands of years ago, but not when Europeans first "discovered" the continent.

I'll check when I get home, but I was under the assumption from my archeology studies that the horse now know today as the Appaloosa evolved from a species that traveled here by way of the ice bridge along with many other species of mammals. some still exist in North America, and some don't...

i've spent years starting young horses for the racetrack, showring, and people's yards. i've never used the word broken to describe the process. i've also never needed to use spurs or whip to accomplish it. a little sensitivity goes a long way. i've also spent a lot of time undoing the damage done by abusive riders. it's another living being not an inanimate object that can be replaced by a quick trip to walmart. it's either a partnership or disaster. it's up to the person to conduct themselves as the more rationale partner

everybody but fejas

Roughly three million years ago, the genus Equus emerged in the American landscape. Early members of this genus were similar, at least in terms of skeletal characteristics, to the modern horses. Ample evidence suggests that early Equus species were widespread and abundant in North America and extended their range into Eurasia via the Bering land bridge. The range extension of Equus beyond North America proved fortunate for descendants, because horses became extinct on this continent some 8,000 - 12,000 years ago. They disappeared as part of a massive extinction of North American megafauna (e.g., mammoth, rhinoceros, sabertooth cat, camel, short-faced bear, etc.) at the end of the last great Ice Age. Climate change, disease and human hunting pressure may all have played a part in the extinction, though the relative importance of proposed causes remains the subject of heated scientific debate.

Early Spanish explorers introduced the modern horse to North America as domestic livestock in the 16th century. Though it might be argued that this marked the triumphant return of the horse to its former homeland, the most current, generally accepted classification does not include E. caballus among the Equus species that occupied North America prior to the great extinction of the late Pleistocene early Holocene. Regardless of specific taxonomic designations, the horses introduced here by Europeans had undergone intensive selective breeding for centuries, and represented a stock quite different from any North American ancestor.

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Dru said:

everybody but fejas

Roughly three million years ago, the genus Equus emerged in the American landscape. Early members of this genus were similar, at least in terms of skeletal characteristics, to the modern horses. Ample evidence suggests that early Equus species were widespread and abundant in North America and extended their range into Eurasia via the Bering land bridge. The range extension of Equus beyond North America proved fortunate for descendants, because horses became extinct on this continent some 8,000 - 12,000 years ago. They disappeared as part of a massive extinction of North American megafauna (e.g., mammoth, rhinoceros, sabertooth cat, camel, short-faced bear, etc.) at the end of the last great Ice Age. Climate change, disease and human hunting pressure may all have played a part in the extinction, though the relative importance of proposed causes remains the subject of heated scientific debate.

Early Spanish explorers introduced the modern horse to North America as domestic livestock in the 16th century. Though it might be argued that this marked the triumphant return of the horse to its former homeland, the most current, generally accepted classification does not include E. caballus among the Equus species that occupied North America prior to the great extinction of the late Pleistocene early Holocene. Regardless of specific taxonomic designations, the horses introduced here by Europeans had undergone intensive selective breeding for centuries, and represented a stock quite different from any North American ancestor.

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

I said I was under the assumtion, which means I thought one breed evolved from the origanal species that once roamed north america, but they did go extinced according to this artical. just what I recalled from my memory which is obviously bad, from all the lose of brain cells... the_finger.gifers

Dru said:

the appaloosa aint no pre-European indigenous horse. i think feejee ment cayuse anyways. an appaloosa is just a spotted horse which can occur more or less in any breed confused.gif

the way i understand it Appy's are a breed. and feejee was wrong in that but he was correct that there were horeses (sort of) here A LONG TIME AGO cool.gif