• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scot'teryx said:

Sewing it up is a good thing IMO

No, Scot, it's not; takes too much time, creates ropedrag, drains energy. None of which is good in an alpine environment. That said, good job Dryad; the more you do, the more you learn. thumbs_up.gif

On this whole "I'm a faggot badass 'cause I climb 5.9 in boots" bullshit, I move faster in climbing shoes because my footing is more solid (better feel, sticky rubber); speed is good on alpine climbs. thumbs_up.gif

I can vouch for NCascadeMtns. He does climb up to 5.9 in his boots. It isn't always pretty but he gets it done. Not my cup of tea but to each his own. He did get me to leave my shoes at home for Easy alpine routes (5.4 and under). It has made me more confident to climb harder grades with shoes fruit.gif

Hey Gary, you missed out on the fingertip traverse! You went up and left from the fixed pin instead of right. The traverse was fun, especially once I got around the corner and had some airy moves.

I know I was sewing it up more than I really had to but our middle person was very grateful for it on the traverse.

And catbird, you may have proved your manhood by leading that second pitch in boots, but you made it look HARD!

And it's sweet of you to chestbeat about my minor accomplishments on my behalf.

No, Scot, it's not; takes too much time, creates ropedrag, drains energy. None of which is good in an alpine environment.

You can sew a line up no problem and eliminate rope drag if you use runners in the correct manner. You know this though, and for your first lead in an alpine setting, sewing it up is not a bad thing. We all can't lead 5.9 in our boots anyway grin.gif

scot'teryx said:

No, Scot, it's not; takes too much time, creates ropedrag, drains energy. None of which is good in an alpine environment.

You can sew a line up no problem and eliminate rope drag if you use runners in the correct manner. You know this though, and for your first lead in an alpine setting, sewing it up is not a bad thing.

NO IT'S NOT!!! HATE...ARGUE...SPEW HATE...ARGUE... madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifyellaf.gif

iain said:

my climbing shoes are harp seal skin killed with a legally-purchased tec-9

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif C'mon, I don't believe THAT. EVERYONE knows that a Louisville Slugger (nicely end-weighted) is the preferred method for dispatching harp seals. You don't ruin any valuable skin this way. You're just being wasteful.

dryad said:

Hey Gary, you missed out on the fingertip traverse! You went up and left from the fixed pin instead of right. The traverse was fun, especially once I got around the corner and had some airy moves.

And catbird, you may have proved your manhood by leading that second pitch in boots, but you made it look HARD!

Ah, I'll have to try that way some other time. Going left does have a finger traverse (steeper but shorter) followed by a mantle to a lieback/jam crack up a ramp... around the corner to the tree belay... pretty fun.

We swung leads so I followed the second pitch, but I remember it was fun in boots; I found a lot of toe-heel jams that would have been more awkward in rock shoes.