promo plug; Beck met with lieut. governor today

Beck

from web page

BRAD Owen hates drugs so much that he will do anything, it seems, to stop them: Give speeches to critical teenagers. Create a rock band to sing anti-drug songs. Even step outside the law to push a public vote toward his anti-drug convictions.

The state lieutenant governor’s $7,000 settlement with the state Executive Ethics Board for his fight against Initiative 685 shows the deliberate separation a public official must make between his personal passions and professional responsibilities.

Owen ran for lieutenant governor in 1996 on an anti-drug platform and won, urging prevention, education and enforcement as the keys to safe communities. Then he turned his office into a taxpayer-financed bully pulpit.

The trouble began last year with I-685, which would have legalized the medicinal use of marijuana, heroin and other drugs, and decriminalized most personal drug possession and use.

Owen could have stuck to his First Amendment right of expressing his contempt for the initiative. He could have followed state law by responding to individual inquiries for information. Instead, his office became a mini-campaign headquarters of sorts. The ethics board contends he used public employees, equipment, federal grant money and his own working hours to illegally distribute countless letters, press releases and documents against the initiative.

Owen’s logic is compelling: If he is passionate about his job, and if his job includes anti-drug work, isn’t it a natural extension of his work to fight a pro-drug campaign?

No, for the same reason a school superintendent can’t send a thousand faxes from his office begging people to vote "yes" on a school levy. When the government gets involved, it becomes a government-financed campaign. For a state employee to use public money to kill a state initiative is even worse, undermining the intent of the initiative process.

Initiative 685 failed, thankfully. Its reasonable cousin, the medicinal marijuana Initiative 692, passed this November - no thanks to Owen, who helped lead the "We Said No!" effort against it. State fines and laws can’t keep Owen from shouting hyperbole during his free time, but they can remind him not to do it at the voters’ expense.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i cannot imagine that anyone could take you seriously given your attire; especially one in any kind of elected office. it is plain to see that they think you are as much of a joke as we do. and by the way. i had lunch with the mayor when i was 11. go get donkey punched.

So Beck, you're saying you have no ethics beyond basic sucking up to power? Owen's an ass who'd like to throw you in jail for your marijuana use, but hey, you had a photo op so its all good? I was willing to cut you slack over the rope-up fiasco, but you're sounding like a cheap whore in this thread.

Off_White said:

So Beck, you're saying you have no ethics beyond basic sucking up to power? Owen's an ass who'd like to throw you in jail for your marijuana use, but hey, you had a photo op so its all good? I was willing to cut you slack over the rope-up fiasco, but you're sounding like a cheap whore in this thread.

for once, me and offwhite are in total agreement. thumbs_up.gif

Beck said:

(do you guys still think this is a template for Northwest climbing? its a template for an internet community, not a real life, real time reality, bros and bras...)

Beck, do you know who is watching this forum? Do you know the famous and not so famous folks who make up the community? Maybe a few well know old timers chime in now and then but a few old timers never chime in but are reading your nonsense. Work gets out real fast because the "community" is much smaller than one would think and climbers have been known to remain friends well after thier age shuts them down.

Shame on you dude. hellno3d.gif

A climber friend and I had breakfast with Norm Rice in that greasy restaurant just outside of Enumscrawl on the way to Rainier, he was going to hike and his car broke down . We talked climbing, but it has taken me 5 years to get the guts to post it on a bbs .

Oh wait, nobody cares

-not a bootlicker cantfocus.gif

LOLOLOL all the way to the next society function....glad to see what i was doing at lunch yesterday can stir up so much controversy...

honestly folks, don't you have real lives?

'coz i sure do, and mentioned it on the site yesterday....

sorry charlie, or whoever is bitter out there about my life, it's my life and not yours....and i'm living it to the best of my abilities, regardless of my personal huffing habit or whatever....

...actually, my focus at most of these society events are the women, not the movers and shakers, because i'd rather be m&s with the ladies in the crowd...however, when you are elbow to elbow with Brad Owen or Peter Steinbreuck, you engage them in conversation..

Beck said:

...actually, my focus at most of these society events are the women, not the movers and shakers, because i'd rather be m&s with the ladies in the crowd...however, when you are elbow to elbow with Brad Owen or Peter Steinbreuck, you engage them in conversation..

yah and i am sure Mr. owen invited you to his party tonight. no beck! dont worry i am sure the invitation was lost and is now on its way and will be there any time! there is no way he could forget such a dynamic and integral person as you. i mean for god's sake! he had lunch with you! shocked.gif so put on that pink dress and get ready for the ball. moon.gif

no,no, just that yesterday, it was all about international art from spain and the netherlands, and alaskan king crab legs for lunch with spanish wines,

wish some of you could have made it, i think i would have been allowed to bring a guest..

just, as the post says,... promo...