Anybody know the name of the peak?

nobody

This is a trivia question.

I was reading through a guide book last night and there was a note about one of the peaks. It said that a certain route, a scramble, was done solo by a 17 year old Yvonne Chiounard. It was his first peak. (I would have thought he would have started climbing at a much younger age).

(I know many on this site have a problem with postings regarding well known climbers, so if you have a problem, don't participate in this post.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by nobody:
This is a trivia question.

I was reading through a guide book last night and there was a note about one of the peaks. It said that a certain route, a scramble, was done solo by a 17 year old Yvonne Chiounard. It was his first peak. (I would have thought he would have started climbing at a much younger age).

(I know many on this site have a problem with postings regarding well known climbers, so if you have a problem, don't participate in this post.)

Actually, that peak was first climbed by Frederick Cook.

Hints:

It was not back east....it was in the west, the rockies. It is a known peak, but not exactly a very well known peak. many here will know of it, I am sure some have climbed it.

Not actually sure how he spells his name. I just typed out Yvonne not even thinking about it...it is Yvon...isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
Dat rock looks like choss, must be Rado or something.

Before I pulled the old "save as" trick, I was trying to brainstorm peaks in CO. Then I gave myself a good slap for not noticing the crevassed glacierS, all but eliminating CO.

Gannet Peak is 13,804 ft. and in the middle of the Wind River Range in WY. It is the state highpoint. It is also fairly remote. You cannot see it from anyroad (pretty sure about that).

From the east side it is 25 miles one way and from the west it is 20+ miles one way. Dru is right it is kind of chossy, it is a mountainering peak with some cool low-mid fifth class climbs and some snow climbs. It is a beautiful setting with a shit load of other tall peaks surrounding it.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Gannett Peak is pretty ambitious for a first climb, especially solo. My first climb was Mt. Adams by the dog route, kinda pales by comparison.

It's definately out in the middle of the range, but it's basicaly a walk up, not a whole lot more difficult than Adams...just more walking. Awsome peak!

Lambone:

"Um, yeah it can be seen from the west on the highway coming south from Jackson"

Are you sure the one you see is Gannet? A bit south of Pinedale you can see a large snow covered peak.

I thought it seemed like Gannet. When I asked people in Pinedale they said it was not Gannet, but a odd angled view of either Jackson or Fremont (depending on which old timer - both are south of Gannet on the divide and are snow covered from the east) I also think the Bonney book and the Kelsy book say that it cannot be seen from any road.

Are you sure that peak is Gannet...I always wondered about this. Who knows?

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: nobody ]

Ambitious for a first mountain? How about as a second Climb? My uncle took me into the winds on my first Climbing road trip. We did Mt meeker in colorado first, overnight bivi at 13,000 feet. Then Gannet was my second climb. 6 1/2 days round trip with 65 pound pack. I sure have learned a lot since then.

From what I can remember, you can't see it from the road\highway. If you are lucky, you can see it from the top of the Grand.

I have almost the same picture from Dinwoody passhttp://4.60.212.144/Climbing/US/Wyoming/Gannett/Gannett.htm

Chris

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: chris_w ]

quote:

Originally posted by nobody:
Lambone:

"Um, yeah it can be seen from the west on the highway coming south from Jackson"

Are you sure the one you see is Gannet? A bit south of Pinedale you can see a large snow covered peak.

I thought it seemed like Gannet. When I asked people in Pinedale they said it was not Gannet, but a odd angled view of either Jackson or Fremont (depending on which old timer - both are south of Gannet on the divide and are snow covered from the east) I also think the Bonney book and the Kelsy book say that it cannot be seen from any road.

Are you sure that peak is Gannet...I always wondered about this. Who knows?

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: nobody ]

I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing the road from the summit, which would suggest that you can see the summit from the road. It's been a few years though.

Gannet was really cool, but Mt. Helen is one of the most awsome peaks I've ever been on. And BTW Dru- that aint no choss up there...

Check out these photos, for some reason I can't get them to show up in this thread:Titcomb Basin- Mt. Helen

Mt. Helen from North

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

I have been on the summit a couple of times and I am pretty sure I could not see any roads. I do distinctly remember seeing the Tetons in the distance. And to the east you see those two rounded peaks...looking like the pilot knobs.

I was really struck by the amount of other high peaks immediatley surrounding Gannet. The moderate climbing potenital is incredible there, snow, ice rock. The setting is incedible there too. But the long ass approach prohibits spending a lot of time actually climbing, unless you have a horse packer haul in supplies.