bc parks closures

murraysovereign

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with BC Parks and the District of Squamish, looking for updates.

The Chief back-side trail is closed, but the front of the park is still open, so climbing is OK as long as it's a route you can rap back down when you finish. No hiking down the trail. The boulders are still open, but will be patrolled regularly, and if there's non-compliance with the smoking ban, they will be closed down. Same goes for Shannon Falls and Murrin - they're open, but will be closed down if smoking ban is ignored.

District of Squamish told me the Smoke Bluffs were still open, but just a minute later I got an e-mail from the Director of Operations, informing me that all trails in the District are now closed indefinitely. That means the Bluffs are off-limits as well.

We can assume these closures will remain in effect until we get significant rain-fall, and there's nothing in the forecast for the next two weeks at least. frown.gif

An update from CASBC

CASBC has obtained such current information as is available about how the closures will affect climbers and mountaineers. Our sources:

a) the government website (www.gov.bc.ca) - the main page includes the announcement of the closure, and the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection and Ministry of Forests sections have much more detail, though they are being updated;

b) Vancouver papers;

c) Vicki Haberl at MWLAP (Parks) in Squamish, and Bev Goodwin of the District of Squamish Parks & Recreation.

CASBC is attempting here to provide a summary of the closures, and how they affect climbers and mountaineers. We make no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, or its currency. The situation is changing very quickly, and we suggest that you directly consult the relevant body, or its website, for updates. Local and provincial government staff are understandably somewhat overwhelmed by the situation, which is not an easy one for them. The Provincial Emergency Program website (www.pep.bc.ca) also appears to be a reasonable and current summary of developments, and includes key links.

About 90% of B.C. is provincially owned/managed land. It is safest to assume that all land off public highways, and outside urban areas, is closed to all forms of recreation, except privately-owned land; most cities and municipalities have also imposed closures and limitations on forested and other park areas.

The closure affects the southern 1/3 of B.C., the only exception apparently being the Powell River area. It also affects the southern and western 1/3 of Vancouver Island.

The following provincial parks are closed to climbing and mountaineering: Bugaboo; Mt. Seymour; Cypress (all sides); Tantalus; Callaghan; Joffre. (These are those which seem of most interest to climbers and mountaineers. Many others are closed in part or fully.) Other parks are open on a limited basis, usually only to supervised camping and day use. Details:

Murrin: the park is open and there is no restriction on climbing, but the situation is being monitored.

Stawamus Chief: as of 10 AM today, the backside trail is closed. Climbing on the Chief and satellite cliffs in the park is permitted, but again the situation is being closely monitored. Climbers are asked not to do climbs that lead to the top of the Chief i.e. that would require use of the backside trail for descent.

Garibaldi: closed, with the sole exception of the Garibaldi Lake trail and area. Camping is permitted at Garibaldi Lake and Taylor Meadows, but new campers will not be allowed up the trail until there are confirmed spaces. Hiking up the Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge is also permitted. The Helm Creek, Singing Pass, Wedgemount, and Elfin Lakes trails, huts and camping areas are all closed, as is the rest of the park.

CalChek: This area, partly reached from a provincial park, is closed.

Brandywine, Nairn Falls: open for day use.

Virtually all the cliffs in Whistler Rockclimbs (Cheakamus Canyon north) are on forest or park land, and it is safest to assume they are closed.

Little Smoke Bluffs: the Bluffs, and many hiking and cycling trails on District of Squamish land, were closed late this morning.

Second-hand information indicates that Glacier National Park (Roger's Pass) and Pacific Rim National Park may not be affected at present. Again, check first! Likewise, North Cascades National Park, and adjoining national and state forests, parks, and recreation areas hadn't been closed as of Thursday morning. Call the offices in Marblemount or Glacier for updates, though.

It appears that Kelowna Crags burnt over during the Kelowna fire, but no one has been there yet to confirm this. Skaha is closed.

CASBC encourages all climbers and mountainers to behave responsibly. Don't climb in an area unless you're certain it is open. The closures are an infernal nuisance. But losing a week or two of climbing every twenty years (the last such closure was in 1985) is hardly life or death, and in the larger perspective is reasonable. Even if the closures, their implementation, and communication about them will be less than perfect, they're a not unreasonable sacrifice.

Last but not least, be exceedingly careful with any possible source of fire - essentially, eliminate all of them, and closely monitor all those that can't be eliminated e.g. hot car parked over dry grass; rocks or gear sparking off each other; cigarettes, bits of glass that might magnify sunlight, etc. Thanks!

ps Note that the maximum penalties under the Forest Practices Code for contravening the closure are $10,000 fine and six months in prison. And its not hard for enforcement personnel to find, and ticket, illicitly parked vehicles or their owners.

erik said:

THE BEST PART OF ALL THIS IS THAT THE CANADAINS WILL DO THEIR DARNDEST TO ENFORCE THIS BAN. YET ACTION TO CURB THEFT IS SO LOW DOWN. I GUESS WE KNOW WHERE THE MONEY COMES FROM!

To put in perspective why everyone is so concerned about stopping fires, you should look at how much property damage and grief has been caused by fires in Kelowna. A few smash and grabs in Squamish pale in comparison to the damage the fires have caused.

I hope this was a troll

murraysovereign said:District of Squamish told me the Smoke Bluffs were still open, but just a minute later I got an e-mail from the Director of Operations, informing me that all trails in the District are now closed indefinitely. That means the Bluffs are off-limits as well.

I can confirm this, we just came home, and there are Trail Closure signs being posted on all access points to the Bluffs.

Doesn't seem to be stopping people though. rolleyes.gif

no not a troll. to who is to say what is more valuable to an individual? what if the smash and grab affects someone who is on a roadtrip or living out of their vehicle? seems about on par. and when man allows his sprawl into the mountains and forrest he needs to realize that fires and other non-controlable forces of nature do exist.

all material possesions can be replaced and repaired. but it is good to know that atleast the loss of life on both sides is nill.

erik said:

... but it is good to know that atleast the loss of life on both sides is nill.

Both sides? I dunno 'bout that. Eventually, all of these fires will die; many already have. And in fact, there was a helicopter pilot killed fighting the McLure Creek fire north of Kamloops. It was to be his last weekend working before getting married and moving to Australia. frown.gif

erik said:

no not a troll. to who is to say what is more valuable to an individual? what if the smash and grad affects someone who is on a roadtrip or living out of their vehicle? seems about on par. and when when man allows his sprawl into the mountains and forrest he needs to realize that fires and other non-controlable forces of nature do exist.

Valid points.

Unfortunately, restrictions and decisions on a provincial scale usually aren't tailored to fit an individual, but to benefit the greater population. So forest closures are more important than smash and grabs. I guess that's where your comment about money comes in.

One other thought is that if something is that important to someone, should they leave it lying around in their car so that people can come along and take it with little effort? Putting it in a better place may be a little difficult if you're living out of your car, but usually something can be done.

Lots of other points can be made. I guess I was just a little touchy about the caps and the apparent lack of sympathy for those affected by the fires. Your second comments provided a little more insight into what you were saying though.

erik said:

all material possesions can be replaced and repaired. but it is good to know that atleast the loss of life on both sides is nill.

I agree.

bird said:

I wouldn't excatly characterize what is happening in Squamish "a few smash and grabbs". rolleyes.gif

Neither would I, but compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars in losses in Kelowna alone, in just two days? Get real.

250 families - probably about 800 people - have lost everything in a weekend, compared to, what, a couple of dozen people who have had a few things taken from their cars over the last few months. And this "seems about on par?" What the Hell kind of golf course are you guys playing on?

Sphinx said:

erik said:

hopefully is family is at peace.

Now that's a stupid statement if I've ever read one. Do you really think they're going to 'be at peace' with his death after a week? rolleyes.gif

prolly so, but since i dont no how to deal with death. i am at a loss of words.

if you want the truth, it is a bummer, but i can not personally put forth much emotion as i did not know the person or the circumstances.

but he apprently was doing something for the good of everyone else and that is commendable.

murraysovereign said:Neither would I, but compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars in losses in Kelowna alone, in just two days? Get real.

250 families - probably about 800 people - have lost everything in a weekend, compared to, what, a couple of dozen people who have had a few things taken from their cars over the last few months. And this "seems about on par?" What the Hell kind of golf course are you guys playing on?

From what I heard, there was some opportunistic smash-and-grabs in Kelowna too, so those should cancel out any way. hahaha.gif

peas we have gone over and over about the leaving shite in your car, but guess what since i would say a fair majority of climbers do not live in squamish and they camp, where do you prey tell they store their gear? in their unlocked tent?

tho is sounds as if murry is working on this issue and that is rad!

But that he died just as he was almost finished with a risky job just tears my heart. It's like the fighter pilot in WWII who finished his last mission. In celebration, he did a barrel roll over the airfield, shouted into his radio: "Tell Ma I'm coming home!" and flew into a tree. Horrible.

murraysovereign said:

bird said:

I wouldn't excatly characterize what is happening in Squamish "a few smash and grabbs". rolleyes.gif

Neither would I, but compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars in losses in Kelowna alone, in just two days? Get real.

You're right. If I implied they were equal... my bad.

Two nights ago, my car was rummaged through. The doors were unlocked and nothing was smashed. Luckily they didn't go into the back where I had some climbing gear. I need to figure out how to turn on the alarm system without locking the doors. And this on an arterial street in a North Seattle neighborhood.

erik said:

peas we have gone over and over about the leaving shite in your car, but guess what since i would say a fair majority of climbers do not live in squamish and they camp, where do you prey tell they store their gear? in their unlocked tent?

tho is sounds as if murry is working on this issue and that is rad!

Yeah, the topic has probably been beaten to death. That said, if you have something really valuable in your car and someone can smash and grab it, it probably means it's portable and that also means that you can stash it somewhere fairly easily.

That is great that Murray is doing something about it. bigdrink.gif

murraysovereign said:

250 families - probably about 800 people - have lost everything in a weekend <snip>

I don't mean for this to sound like an admonition of

people who genuinely HAVE lost everything. But to own a

home and live in the Okanagan (to own a home anywhere for

that matter) and not carry insurance to cover fire losses

displays questionable judgement to me. I suspect that

actually most of these 250 unfortunate families do carry

insurance and in the end have only lost irreplaceables like

photos, sentimental things. I heard that with the donations

pouring in, the benefit concerts etc. that the home losses

due the Kelowna fire are already covered with surplus.

Contrast to people getting car-burgled. I have looked into

getting insurance to cover my gear since so often I am carrying

several thousand dollars worth in my vehicle at once.

I found that I could be covered up to $1500 under a household

policy, with something like a $500 deductible, but a rider beyond

that had premiums of something like 15% a year.

I am sure there are other policies out there, but put

in terms proportional to insurance coverage for a house that

is pretty steep? In any case, most people don't insure their

camping equipment, and if it gets stolen I don't think Cher

will hold a benefit concert ... so it's gone and no recompense.

My ultimate point? ... it's apples and oranges. BRING ON THE RAIN!!!!!

Re: Squish Crash and Snags

A somewhat rudimentary and half assed solution to this and a way to deter asssholes in busy areas is to buy a sturdy, lockable, box of some sort to put stuff in when you're away. A lot of trucks/SUVs have interior metal guy points that can be locked to the box. No, it's not guaranteed, but it is a reason for crook to look elsewhere because of the hassle.

Or you could just sit in the ditch all night watching a baited car a la David Persson fruit.gif