The Patriot Act Whistlestop Tour

Greg_W

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your cellphone is inside a giant faraday shield when you are in an airplane. you'd have a hard time keeping a conversation. Also, modern digital phones broadcast at very low wattage since they are designed for operating in a forest of cell towers. I believe this is why you can be up on a mountain and get great coverage according to the phone's "bars" as it picks up transmissions from a tower, but the second you try to make a call out, it drops the connection.

David_Parker said:

Reps Jay Inslee and Norm Dicks have also voted to remove the section about searching homes without a warrant or prior notification.

This is good to hear. I've happily supported Inslee since I moved to his district, but I was very disappointed to hear he voted for the Patriot Act. Said act was the main reason that some conservatives -- BoB Barr comes to mind -- turned around and joined one of their most hated organizations: the ACLU. Power to them if they're trying to bring this law down.

JoshK said:

Small electronics don't do shit to planes. This is more fear-mongering. I think the cell phone crap came to be from the desire of airlines to get people to use the on-board pay phones. I think this crap is about as dumb as the no cell phones at gas station BS. Might as well just say no metal objects at all are allowed, esp. cars themselves. hellno3d.gifrolleyes.gif

madgo_ron.gif

Motherfucker. Dr. Flash Amazing ever catches you yakkin' on your cell phone during takeoff, you'll spend the rest of the flight trying to crap it back out.

Plane crasher! boxing_smiley.gif

iain said:

your cellphone is inside a giant faraday shield when you are in an airplane. you'd have a hard time keeping a conversation. Also, modern digital phones broadcast at very low wattage since they are designed for operating in a forest of cell towers. I believe this is why you can be up on a mountain and get great coverage according to the phone's "bars" as it picks up transmissions from a tower, but the second you try to make a call out, it drops the connection.

What about those heroes that brought down the 9/11 flight in PA? The standard lore is that they called their SO's on cell-phones and found out what was happening and thus sacrificed themselves for the good of whomever those terrorists were planning on flying them into. How were they able to have those conversations?

Or is it all a myth like the Jessica Lynch thing? shocked.gif

And what about no cell-phones in hospitals? Is that all just a fear-mongering thing also? Is it just to force people to use the hospital phones wink.gif.

The whole no electronics on airplanes is crazy and scary. It's either one thing or the other, both scary. Either

1) They really have no idea why the planes malfunction and crash and kill everyone, so they just make some wild-ass guess and prohibit something to give the illusion that they are actually in control

2) Planes actually are so fragile that Gameboys could send them plummeting into the tarmac!! That is the most scary shocked.gif.

Maybe the next terroristas can just bring about 10 gameboys and a couple of calculator watches onto the plane (not prohibited) and then threaten to turn them ALL ON AT ONCE shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.giftongue.gif.

Recently I was on a flight where a middle-aged woman received a call just after takeoff. Instead of turning the thing off, she took the call! I reached across the aisle and tapped her shoulder and asked her to turn it off. She frowned at me and turned away and continued to talk. Other people around her were clearly annoyed but did nothing. Finally I told her in a deep voice to turn the Goddamn phone off Now, which she responded to.

We must've gotten to 5-6,000 feet by then.

Blackhawk helicopters became known as lawn-darts when the CB's in mexican taxicabs driving underneath them interfered with flight electronics. Put 'em into a nosedive every time the driver keyed the mic. Took awhile for the military to piece together what was happening. Enjoy your flight wave.gif

chucK said:

Maybe the next terroristas can just bring about 10 gameboys and a couple of calculator watches onto the plane (not prohibited) and then threaten to turn them ALL ON AT ONCE shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.giftongue.gif.

dont be giving out tips like that mother fucker. osama bin laden has operatives scanning the internet looking for just that kind of chink in the armor. loose lips sink ships.