booby traps for squamish theives

lodi_dodi

With all these theives in Squamish, what's a girl to do? I'm headed up there for a month starting on friday and could use some advice on how to keep my gear for the whole trip. Also any possible booby trap ideas for keeping my tent safe would be entertaining.

I dont' have a car so i'll just have a tent, or a place to stash, etc. Any ideas on which campgrounds are the best protected? Last big trip I was on, all my gear got ripped off when I was in the city, so I can't afford a repeat session.

Oh yea- since I'm headed up there alone, I'll be lookin for partners. I'll be bringin all my gear for sport, trad and bouldering, too much crap to carry, etc...

I climb v5ish, lead 5.11sport, 5.10 trad...can follow harder...so if you're up in squamish...drop me a line.

cheers, erin

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself a Rotweiler. Otherwise, don't go to Squamish.

I think the climber's campground is probably relatively safe because it's up at the end of a road (only one quick getaway), and they lock up the place at night. I guess the road to the Squaw has only one way out too though.

One route I really want to do Angel's Crest, I've heard some good recommendations about it and you get to the top of the chief, not a bad deal. Others...Split pillar, shaved bum, classics of course. Actually, I've only been to squamish once and did Rock On so pretty much anything sounds good.

I'm going to post a message on the board up there, so that'll say where I'm staying at. My name's Erin. See ya up there.

Booby traps, oh boy...

get you self some paint ball granades. rig fishing line from your zipper to a pin set up. attach granade to line above in a tree. If some one steels your shit, at least you'll know who did it... kerslpat!!!! 20ft blast radius... ha ha....

Let's see if I can tell the story before it happens:

Erin (Lodi-dodi) goes to Squamish and meets up with a climber or two that befriend her or make her think they are befriending her. Unbeknownst to her, they watch where she goes every night to stash her gear (under this rock or under that log). Then, when the climbing fun is nearly over, off walks your gear and your new friends are nowhere around the next morning. Beware the tricky thieves.

You could leave your gear stashed on a ledge some 40 feet off the deck on some super-hard 5.11 only you could free climb. My line of thinking is no thief would have enough balls or agility to bother trying for your gear, despite it's hanging (shining) out in plain view. A good plan in theory, risky in practice.

Have fun...with the climbing, the pseudo-friends, and the stash arrangements.

oooh- the trickery and deceit that runs through the squamish climbing circle- can't trust any of my new climbing "friends". But luckily, for me that is, I took some collateral that brings 'em back and further negotians occur. Actually I've been having some fun coming up potential booby traps...just to entertain myself in lab. The opening of the tent door that pulls the string across the knife, cutting it and releasing the deadfall log above...or just the standard, open the tent door to get a vigourous blast of pepper spray in the face.

All fantasy of course, i'm sure it will be fine, hopefully.

Murray was kind enough to let me know that stashing gear at Vahalla Pure is an option.

Anyhoo, it will be a great vacation and I'm looking forward to getting my butt kicked on area classics.

Not going to go into a lot of detail here, but I've been talking with a few people around town, and we might have some kind of "program" in place for next year. I've had a couple of ideas in mind for a while now, but needed more bodies to make it work - it looks like there's enough interest that we're going to do some planning over the winter, and hope to start nailing some of these bastards.

murraysovereign said:

Not going to go into a lot of detail here, but I've been talking with a few people around town, and we might have some kind of "program" in place for next year. I've had a couple of ideas in mind for a while now, but needed more bodies to make it work - it looks like there's enough interest that we're going to do some planning over the winter, and hope to start nailing some of these bastards.

You go, my brotha from anotha mutha thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

( hey, I just broke 1000 grin.gif)