Mont Blanc Closed Due To Global Warming

Dru

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB's article mentions that sugar beet yield has decreased by 25% in Italy while sugar beet yield in Ireland has increased by 25%. I have no idea how many sugar beets each of these countries produce, but I find it interesting how nature often adapts to change. The thought that humans have the ability to alter the world's weather pattern (and indeed may have already done so) is sobering. However, I believe our planet is capable of making some adjustments to give humans the benefit of continued existence.

I'm not saying we can destroy the environment at will and expect mother nature to pick up the slack, just that the earth is more robust than we sometimes give it credit for.

I'm not saying we can destroy the environment at will and expect mother nature to pick up the slack, just that the earth is more robust than we sometimes give it credit for.

may be. but usually the criticality of the situation depends on how close one is to the disaster area:

"10,400 more deaths than normal during French heatwave: undertakers

PARIS (AFP) Aug 20, 2003

France's undertakers said Wednesday there were 10,400 more deaths than usual so far this month, amid claims that thousands of people may have died from the effects of a heatwave that hit Europe."

http://www.terradaily.com/2003/030820135613.mqikuwvt.html

With out a doubt the earth will survive anything we do to it. The real question is will we survive.

i just got this email from a german friend:

Here in the Alps, we had an absolute record summer for heat and drought. Incredibly good weather and dry rock, but paradoxically, hardly any of the big walls could be climbed. There were huge rockfalls (well, even landslide size) all over the place. Part of the Drus fell down just a couple of days after Laurin and Me did a speed ascent of the American Direct Route. The Walker Pillar on the Grandes Jorasses had some major rockfall and people were killed there too. The glaciers were really opened too and big streams came down everywhere. Even for the normal route on Mont Blanc, people had to climb a ten meter vertical serac this year! Eiger North Face has now completely lost its first and third icefield. The second one barely exists and the spider is now a microspider. You could do this famous mixed climb in climbing shoes only!!

blush.gif