Crystal Mountain

Tod

Looks like Crystal Mountain is starting their snowmaking early this year... rolleyes.gif

504cmsnowcam2.jpg

Also some other interesting news from Crystal Mountain:

Current Update

July 31, 2003

Dear Crystal Mountain Supporters:

A major hurdle was passed today as the United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) and National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Fisheries both received individually written copies of the Biological Assessment for the Crystal Mountain Master Development Plan Environmental Impact Statement. Now the USFWS and NOAA Fisheries have 60 days to respond. The Forest Service needs concurrence from both agencies prior to issuing a Record of Decision (ROD) for the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS).

The only other agency the Forest Service needs to hear back from is the Washington State Historical Preservation Office (SHPO) regarding the Heritage package. This document discusses issues from Native American Indians to the early mining days here. SHPO has had the document since the middle of July so their findings should be forth coming.

Above, in two short paragraphs I have summarized many hours of diligent work put in by the Forest Service staff and their contractor (SE Group) preparing the documents in a timely manner. Theoretically, providing there are no obstacles a ROD could be issued by November 1, 2003.

Keep the faith, the end may be near.

Respectfully, Bill Steel

Director of Planning

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been under litigation, protest, scrutiny and everything else for 5+ years already and they have made adjustments to satisfy the enviro concerns (or at least the review process). We'll see if the projected approval date comes and goes or not.... smirk.gif

lI1|1! said:

[rant]

screw crystal. we don't need any more stinking ski lifts. leave the crystal backcountry the way it is. earn your turns.

boxing_smiley.gif

[/rant]

Judging by the increase in hikers in the SB I'm not sure how much worse a lift would make it. wink.gif

They've got a few years of court fighting ahead of them, and if the planet is really getting hotter they probably wont have the money to pay for new lifts.

In any case I think a better use of their money would be to build up a fancy base area with fancy shops selling useless NW trinkets and turning the summit house into a swank place for dining and weddings.

You don't make money off skiing like you make money off shopping. grin.gif

definately a crowded spot already for sure, and precisely maybe my point - if that many people enjoy publicly owned land the way it is maybe that's the way they should keep it.

but yeah i'm sure you're right, citizens don't have any say in these issues - it all comes down to money and politics. the american people don't own their own land anymore, now the government does. thumbs_down.gif

Iain, sweet stoke brah!

I'm down here in Las Lenas right now, rought night at the discotech so I'm nursin away the morning hangover with some Internet fun, LOL!

Just had to chime in and say that jibbing does the body good, so get out there and RIP IT UP! Hope all you jokesters are having fun, I've been shredding some major GNAR GNAR down here, good snow, and even better women, what more could a guy want?

Keep the stoke comin brah!

Extremo