Slippery slab

Mer

Routes generally improve with a little traffic, but does slab actually become harder? Every time I slither off a hard slab route I start in with my theory about how every tiny crumb or crystal that might have once been there has long been broken off or smoothed away. Admittedly I’m crappy on slab, and should learn to climb better and rationalize less, but you think there’s any truth to the theory?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience is on Sandstone ( Navajo specifically and mostly) and some slabby granite.

Any granite type rock will polish over repeated use, just try some of those slippery probs in camp 4. As for sandstone, it tends to get "buffed", not so much a polish since its always sluffing off on a granular level, but a fresh un-trammeled patch of SS slab is usually more "frictiony". This mainly noticiable on 5.10 and harder SS slabs where friction is crucial. Technique and "dynamic balance" is always helpful smile.gif

Yes, I think slabs get a little harder over time.

Hall of Smears 5.11, Kolob Canyons

3012.jpg

Edited by chirp

MisterE said:

catbirdseat said:

Slab climbing is all mental anyway.

John Dunne: The Very Big and The Very Small - 5.14 slab thumbs_up.gifhellno3d.gifrockband.gifbigdrink.gif

john dunne has never climbed vbvs, or 14 slab for that matter. it was put up by johnny DAWES and repeated by steve mclure.

there is a 13d slab route in spain

and a v15 slab boulder problem in japan

i bet that gecko tape helps immensely for both.

Dru said:

MisterE said:

catbirdseat said:

Slab climbing is all mental anyway.

John Dunne: The Very Big and The Very Small - 5.14 slab thumbs_up.gifhellno3d.gifrockband.gifbigdrink.gif

john dunne has never climbed vbvs, or 14 slab for that matter. it was put up by johnny DAWES and repeated by steve mclure.

there is a 13d slab route in spain

and a v15 slab boulder problem in japan

i bet that gecko tape helps immensely for both.

Man, you are just my frickin' proctor these days drool (or is it proctologist yellaf.gif).

True story:

My buddy Chris Schloedfelt was gonna try " Hall of Miirors" in Yosemite, and just before he was starting, some long-haired freak approached him and said:

"Hey! You gonna climb Hall of Mirrors?"

Chris said "Yes."

Longhair says: "Gimme your shoes, I'll show you a trick for slab."

Chris wonders, but eventually figures the guy isn't going to steal his shoes...

Longhair grabs the shoes and goes to the nearest pine tree, sits, and starts rubbing down the soles with pine tar. He comes back, rubbing the shoes vigorously, hands them back to Chris and says:

"This is how we did this one - I'm Jim Bridwell, and this will make these shoes stick to anything "

fruit.gifwave.gifthumbs_up.gif

I've never had interest in this popular tower.

I'm sure there is a tiny amount of fun there. But the hype is about as much as some of the so called classics of Smoots Book - Full of shit -. Instantly stupid bolt climbs are classics but the 5.6 next to it are 20 times better. smirk.gif

BTW Smoot books are full of shit- he may mock beckey (note beckey has errors) but smoot has never been to half the areas he mentions in his books I bet. It's just plagiarism at it's finest to make money.

Climb a pitch at peshastin and you'll find your fix.

Bill_Simpkins said:

I've never once got skinned knees. Just slide on the 'ol toes and watch your shoes melt! cry.gif

Fatty Bolger is my favorite. thumbs_up.gif

The boulder problems on Exactor Slab in B'ham are fun to try. Ruined a pair of shoes on those.

Isn't Fatty Bolger pretty well protected? I'd really like to give it a try but it's kinda hard for me. Next time I'm up there I'll jump on it, now that someone reccomends it.

What is with those easy climbs to the left?!? Those things have holds and bolts everywhere. Maybe half the bolts and they would make sense. Good for begginers I guess. That one 5.6 is a complete waste though!

Oh and that picture I posted was of The Very Big... the same site has a picture of him(Steve Mclure(sp?)) doing a crazy looking rockover. I really like that road in the back!

the jug slab central routes (stepladder and moominland) were first semi-cleaned and soloed by me and dave vocadlo.

glenn payan and jeff thomson later fully cleaned & bolted them & the two 5.6s with our permission to turn the whole jug slab into a beginning leader's crag. so that's what up with all the bolts. the only fully bolted 5.6 routes at squamish IIRC.

snoboy's 5.11 project below jug slab is also fun. bring your own hangers if you plan on poaching it evils3d.gif