Summer closures in Zion?

epb

I know its a bit away, but I was thinking about passing through Zion in June. I know the close something like 80% of the routes from Jan - August due to peregrine protection. Does anyone know where to get info on what walls are closed??? I was paricular intrested in knowing if the routes in Temple of Sinawava and the routes on Angel's Landing would be closed.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd skip Zion in June unless you like horrendous debilitating heat. The average high temp in June for Zion is between 90-100. I've been there in early June when it was 105. We left out boom box in the car to go climbing and it melted. You can chase the shade, but every wall gets a fair amount of sun. But I don't remember any peregrine closures.

I was there in early june about 2 years ago. It was hot, mostly in the 90 but not too bad. We made sure to get a very early start every day. By noon it was getting hot. I also seem to remmber some of the walls got a good amount of shade in the late afternoon. If you are passing through the area I would deffinetly stop by, you may get lucky with reasonable temps. As for bird closures call the backcountry desk. There were some closures when I was there but not many, mostly in less traveled areas. I would also recomend checking out some of the slot canyons.

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:
like spelunking its the retarded bastard stepchild of climbing.
tongue.gif" border="0

You think climbing stoned is fun? Try caving on acid or shrooms (no self-respecting caver calls it "spelunking"). In the TAG region (where TN, GA, AL meet) there are tons of caves and when the weather turns cold and wet,making climbing miserable, caving is awesome. It's always 55-60 degrees, doesn't matter if it's day or night, etc.

Dude I'm scared enough of offwidths and squeeze chimneys. I don't know how I'd do in a real cave. I've also already had my lifetime quota of being in the close vicinity of bird and rat shit from rockclimbing that I don't feel I need to subject myself to voluntarily cruising around places where these little nasty nocturnal creatures live shocked.gif" border="0 Plus I don't want to buy all that Euro-stlye Petzl caving shit. BUT, like having sex with fat chicks, you shouldn't knock it till you try it. So maybe I'll try it.... caving that is.

I've done quite a bit of canyoneering in Zion. If you need some beta let me know and I can steer you in the right direction. Like the original poster, I went down with the intention of doing some climbing but it was just too damn hot.

If you decide to do some canyoneering you will want to consider bringing along a wetsuit.

Rob