Looking for VW westy info

chris_w

I'm planning on getting a VW minivan for a 1-2 month (or longer) roadtrip. I've never owned one and don't know much about them. I'm sure there are a few climbers out there that have owned them.

Any info\suggestions would be appreciated. Anything about common problems, annoyances or just about anything. I have done research on the internet from VW sites but looking for firsthand info from climbers. I am looking in the 1985-90 with at least a pop-top.

Thanks

chris

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE RIG KINDA.

BRING YOUR TOOLS AND THE REPAIR MANUAL.

I HAVE ALWAYS PREFFERED THE NON WESTIE SET UP AS THE SETUP WEIGHS A TON AND IS NOT THAT EFFICENT FOR PACKING.

TRY TO FIND A POP TOP WITHOUT THE WESTIE KIT. USE TUPPERWARE AND WHAT NOT. PLUS WITH A COLEMAN 2 BURNER YOU HAVE MORE COOKING FLEXABILTY.

BUY THE COOLANT FROM THE MANUFACTURE, IT COSTS MORE BUT PAYS OFF IN THE LONG RUN

WATER COOLED MOTORS HAVE AN ISSUE WITH CORRESION ON THE BLOCK WHICH CAUSES THE HEADS GASLETS TO BLOW. EVERY VAN WIL DO THIS. THE GOOD COOLANT DELAYS THIS AFFECT.

I HAD AN 85 VANAGON FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND IT ROCKED. HAD THE FULLSIZE BED IN BACK AND I HELD ALL MY GEAR IN 4 18 GALLON TUPPERWARES AND HAVE A SEAT I MADE OUT OF A MILK CRATE FOR MY BOOKS AND SHIT.

MADE CURTAINS AND HAD SOME KEWL BAG THINGS THAT ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THE FRONT SEATS. AND I HAD A CD PLAYER WITH REMOTE..

MAN I WISH I NEVER GOT THAT STUPID EXPENSIVE TRUCK!!!!

I had a 68 Westfalia for a while and it was ok. It was the best sleep I've ever had, actually! The brakes were drum in front, drum in back which was bad. In 69 they went to disc brakes in front. It was easy to fix, but broke down like clockwork every 500-600 miles.

erik is right, though, that a non-westfalia bus will serve you just as well and be lighter.

I'd like to add that you can do just as well by buying a Toyota or Nissan van. I had an 87 Toyota 4x4 van for many years, and it was ok, better than the VW. Didnt break down ever. But not the same engine as in the smaller pickups of that era, so the engine does not last as long.

I learned that the 4x4 is really not required, unless you are doing alot of snowy winter driving. They have almost the same clearance as a bus, but are not as roomy inside. They are easier to drive, however.

Edited by Alex

OH GOOD GOD NO WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY A TOYOTA MINIVAN FROM THE 80s. This vehicle, in addition to breaking down plenty, has the head-smackingly unique (read: stupid) quirk of an engine accessible only by tilting the driver's seat back, allowing you access to the engine via an opening approximately 3/4 the size of the engine. Say goodbye to being able to fix anything yourself, at least in any reasonable amount of time with any reasonable amount of effort, short of simple operations like changing oil or spark plugs (and even changing your oil filter requires moderate contortions under the vehicle). Say hello, instead, to astronomical repair bills as you frustratedly resign yourself to having your van (now semi-dismantled) towed to the mechanic, who, despite having the tools and experience to fix the monster, will still have to access the engine through the tiny opening under the driver's seat. Really, don't buy one. At least with the reliably malfunctioning VW, you can actually get at the engine when it breaks down.

On top of that, the vehicle is inexplicably a rear-wheel drive, despite having a front engine. So unless you've got a lot of weight in the back all the time, you can forget about having any traction in the rain or snow. Oh, and the tinny body dents like nobody's business.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

OH GOOD GOD NO WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY A TOYOTA MINIVAN FROM THE 80s.

I didnt have any negative experiences with my van, despite DFA's rant here. OK, I had one: -30C in the Canadian Rockies with a Toyota van does not work well, as two ice climbing partners can attest.

I also had a very good Toyota mechanic who kept the machine working well. When I sold the van and got my Honda, I was very disappointed because the mechanic didnt know Honda, so now I don't have a mechanic. But its a Honda, so I don't need one!

Alex, consider yourself super-lucky. The repair headaches DFA went through with that beast were unrivaled by any vehicle before or since, thank God. What year and what kind of mileage did you have on yours?

It's really too bad it failed so often, 'cause the Doctor put a bitchin' bed sysem with a fold-up middle section that housed the stove, allowing 2 people to lounge and cook in comfort. Fit milk crates underneath perfectly, too, and concealed all contents with the bed folded down. But when you pay more into repairs than you paid for the vehicle ... ouch. madgo_ron.gif

chris_w said:

I'm planning on getting a VW minivan for a 1-2 month (or longer) roadtrip. I've never owned one and don't know much about them. I'm sure there are a few climbers out there that have owned them.

Any info\suggestions would be appreciated. Anything about common problems, annoyances or just about anything. I have done research on the internet from VW sites but looking for firsthand info from climbers. I am looking in the 1985-90 with at least a pop-top.

Thanks

chris

do not do this to yourself. instead buy a reliable yota tacoma with a sizable shell or a camper top.

toyota tacoma's are the most hyped pieces of shit this side of the solar system.

dont buy a tacoma!

if you are seriously into living in your rig, it needs to be a van.

tacomas are underpowered as bad as the ford 4.0l

erik said:

toyota tacoma's are the most hyped pieces of shit this side of the solar system.

dont buy a tacoma!

if you are seriously into living in your rig, it needs to be a van.

tacomas are underpowered as bad as the ford 4.0l

i guess thats why a tacoma won the pikes peak two years running (98 and 99)? rolleyes.gif

AND UH THAT IS A FACTORY MOTOR TOO!

rolleyes.gif

AND WASNT 98 AND 99 LIKE YEARS AGO AND SHIT? HAVENT THEY EVEN CHANGED THEIR MOTOR SINCE THEN?? WHERES THE WINS WITH THE NEW PHAT MOTOR?

THEY ARE OVER PRICED AND TINNY.

AND THEY ARE WEAK!

wazzup.gif

vanagons are not hyped to be the phattest truck with a huge powerful motor now are they?

and anyways i used to have a chevy pu that was comparable and it wasnt even comparable. the only thing the toyota had the chev beat on was ground clearance.......

I had a 84 1/2 for about 8 years. This was the first year with the water cooling. I sold it with 203,000 miles on it and a rebuilt engine at 102,000. Just remember to see if the heads have been replaced and like others have said change flush the coolant once a year with a dealer.

Westies are the shit. You will have so much fun.

I upgraded to a Eurovan which is definately and step down in character but faster on the open road. Remember the westies have small engines and are very heavy so 65 is pushing them. I think this is why so many people have problems, they try and push them to fast. The time all works out the same because you don't have to set up camp.

And make sure you wave to all other westies on the road. A cult group forsure.

dale

erik said:

AND UH THAT IS A FACTORY MOTOR TOO!

rolleyes.gif

AND WASNT 98 AND 99 LIKE YEARS AGO AND SHIT? HAVENT THEY EVEN CHANGED THEIR MOTOR SINCE THEN?? WHERES THE WINS WITH THE NEW PHAT MOTOR?

THEY ARE OVER PRICED AND TINNY.

AND THEY ARE WEAK!

wazzup.gif

They are definitely weak (unless you get the 3.4L engine) but they last forever, have great clearance and 4x4 capability, and absolutely destroy every domestic truck manufacturer, hands down - when it comes to overall quality.

"TOYOTA ON TOP. General Motors (GM ), which vaulted into third place with 130 problems per 100 vehicles, behind Toyota (TM ) at 107 and Honda (HMC ) at 113, posted a 30% improvement over the past five years. In rankings of individual model quality, Toyota swept 9 of 16 vehicle segments, including 6 of the 7 truck categories . DaimlerChrysler (DCX ) placed fourth at 141, with Nissan (NSANY ) and Volkswagen tied at 152. (Click here here to go to the rankings.)

Poor quality in recent years contributed to Ford's $5.4 billion loss in 2001. Shoddy vehicles have alienated customers, and Ford's U.S. market share has fallen by three points, to 20.9%, since the end of 2000. Defects led to numerous recalls in the past two years and delayed the arrival of crucial new models, such as the 2002 Explorer and 2001 Escape SUVs. Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache estimates Ford's average warranty cost per vehicle at $650, vs. only $400 for Toyota. And because poorly made cars have lower resale values, auto makers usually have to kick in cash subsidies when owners trade in, further depressing profits. "

You might buy domestic and get lucky, but the statistics don't lie, and Toyota wins every time.

why buy new anyway, u can get a killer deal on an older ride that has already been completly rebuilt for 5-10 grand rather than 30-40g's for a new peace a shit, less of cource u go wit the toyota hybreds and get 40-70 mpg, saving a shit load of money on gass in the long run.

I lived out of my '81 Westie when I was in Utah. The first water cooled were actually the '83 1/2 year model, and the biggest set of problems with the heads were from the 83-84 models. They got the probs worked out by '85 for the most part. They were still making and selling the Vanagon style in Canada up to '92 I think .

THE trick really is to do the Subaru 4cyl engine swap (search the web...there are a few sites out there with details). That way you have a more powerful and reliable powerplant. It takes some serious wiring work and a tranny plate adapter, but all reports from people who've done the swap are positive.

I loved my Westie, but it was way underpowered, had no A/C, required alot of attention when driving in hills in summer.

I lived in my 85 Ford wheelchair van converted to camping status, it had a raised roof, 300ci V6, AC, etc, also lived out of a '99 Tacoma with shell...after all that I think the full sized domestic was the ticket (put one of those roll-out awnings on the side and you'll never miss the pop-top).

What do I drive now? Like E, I'm sporting the ragged Subaru...'91 Legacy L Wagon with 147k on the clock.

Edited by willstrickland

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Alex, consider yourself super-lucky. The repair headaches DFA went through with that beast were unrivaled by any vehicle before or since, thank God. What year and what kind of mileage did you have on yours?

I had a 1987 Toyota 4x4 LE Cargo. I drove it for about 4 years and I was over 200k miles on the original engine and tranny the day my water pump broke on 520 bridge during rush hour. I decided no way was I going to let my WORST FEAR BE REALIZED, so I kept driving until off the bridge and summarliy killed my engine. I still sold it for 2k+ to a guy who wanted it for the body and 4x4, and had an engine lined up. He restored the car, fixed some body panels, and now its hot! hot! hot!.

The problems I had with the vehicle were the usual clutch and brakes stuff associated with any used car with high miles, but I didnt have any engine trouble.

I bought the van specifically because the VW was underpowered, I couldnt affoard a Eurovan, the Toyota had 4WD, and because I hate having to crawl into the back of a pickup when pulling off the road at night. Its a unique vehicle, very well suited to the needs of a road-tripping climber.

I bought the van specifically because the VW was underpowered, I couldnt affoard a Eurovan, the Toyota had 4WD, and because I hate having to crawl into the back of a pickup when pulling off the road at night. Its a unique vehicle, very well suited to the needs of a road-tripping climber.

That is basically why I am getting it. I don't want to crawl or get out of my vehical when I want to sleep. Most Pickup beds are only 6ft so I barely fit into them. I'm also used to underpowered cars. I have a saturn smile.gif