Looking for VW westy info

chris_w

I'm an unabashed westy fan, cabinets and all. I've got an 84, and its been just fine, outside of wildlife impact, which hurt the deer a hell of a lot more than me. The refrigerator (NOT a cooler) is great, running on 12v, 120v, or propane, and I don't mind the 15 gallon water tank plumbed through a sink at all either. The living room on wheels is really nice, especially when the weather sucks. Its a bit underpowered, but I'm used to VW's, and it seems to cruise down the highway nicely, though I imagine I drive it too fast. The watercooled engine finally provides what all prior VW vans lacked: real heat, and the ability to defrost a wintertime frozen windshield. The lack of AC does really suck. While some do come with it, the interior volume is so huge and the engine so small that it just doesn't work, so be sure and avoid it. Its also a relatively noisy vehicle inside, especially when you have the windows down because you have no AC. On the otherhand, the turning radius is amazing, and its a pretty nimble vehicle for the size.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard similar things about '80s era westies - stay away from '83-84, or go with late '70s to '82 air-cooled. In particular, '80 through '82 are good: the 'wedge' body which is more aerodynamic than the toaster shape of earlier buses (and thus better on gas, power, etc.), with all the nice features of the latest in air-cooled technology! (hydraulic lifters, 2.0 liters of pure power, fuel injection, etc. feel the rush...). Mid to late '80s should be good too, but harder to work on, more expensive parts, etc.

Still, bear in mind that buying any old VW is a hobby as much as a car. Like, they're not low-maintenance vehicles. Expect to need an engine rebuild every ~80-120K (or less), so be aware of where your rig is in that cycle when you buy it.

on a totally different front, a medium to full size truck with a camper is pretty cushy, also american made conversion camping vans are more reliable runners and cheaper to fix. I also had a 1974 pop top and loved it although I was always a little spooked about taking really long journys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - - I've got two 1986 VW Westies both weekenders, one is Syncro (AWD) and plan to sell one of them pretty soon. I'm having some work done on the 2WD model (transmission) but it might be ready to roll in a few days. Give me a call 503-803-8815 (in Portland area).

erik said:

and anyways i drive a beat down subaru now......and it serves me just fine...

and it never claimed to be the phattest truck with a sick powerful motor either!!!

fruit.gif

No but you refuse to listen to other owners about the maintenance issues with this car, assuming the no listeny thing is not new, so I'm inclined to no listeny to any of your suggestions on vans or otherwise either. moon.gifAnyway, you so haven't owned a Soob long enough to get the problems associated with the vehicle. thumbs_down.gif

I had a '69 pop top for 9 years, recently sold it to a guy that came over from Moscow, ID to buy it. I rebuilt the engine to 1776 cc, balanced crank, pistons, and cam, slightly oversized pistons, dual carbs, lightend flywheel. For a meatloaf it did ok and could cruise at 70 mph on the highway. It was a good trailhead bivy. And it had decent clearance. The best was passing the shiny SUVs diven by the yups out on the Forest Service roads. They hate dust.

marylou said:

No but you refuse to listen to other owners about the maintenance issues with this car, assuming the no listeny thing is not new, so I'm inclined to no listeny to any of your suggestions on vans or otherwise either. moon.gifAnyway, you so haven't owned a Soob long enough to get the problems associated with the vehicle. thumbs_down.gif

what??????????? uh well like this is like the 3rd subaru i have owned. i am a certified mechanic? i have rebuilt motors frame block in the crate all the way to driving it. i understand all the maitenence issues.

i have a good mechanic for it. we have discussed the maintence schedule for my vehicle.

i dont know why you care or what your qualifications for even making that statement are?? seems kinda dumb..

and since in the last week i have replaced my timing chain per the 45k mile requirement, also the only reason head gaskets go on these things is because the owner is allowing the block to run at too a high a temp and since i personally replaced my radiator two weeks ago, i have addressed that issue.

please dont talk when you dont know!

rolleyes.gif

Erik,

Doing the radiator fix (I assume your mechanic put the kibosh on the Outback option for some reason....?) won't erase the sins of the previous owners. I was very careful with engine temps and still, right on schedule, a head gasket blew at 175K.

Also if you did the timing belt, one has to hope you did the water pump at the same time, or you're going to have to go in there again.

Sorry to mention any of this, I must have temporarily forgotten that no one can ever tell you anything because you already got it all in your nog. rolleyes.gif