Name Dropping

JGowans

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JGowans said:

On the trail to Ingalls on Saturday, I cruised past Father Christmas...turned out to be Austin Post. 82 years old, still going strong. Here's to Austin bigdrink.gif

was he the guy with the red external framepack (and obviously the big white beard)

iain said:

JGowans said:

On the trail to Ingalls on Saturday, I cruised past Father Christmas...turned out to be Austin Post. 82 years old, still going strong. Here's to Austin bigdrink.gif

was he the guy with the red external framepack (and obviously the big white beard)

That's the guy! He was with the younger couple. They are neighbors on Vashon Island. I think he was up there to just take some pictures. Not sure though, cos he just had a nifty little digital camera. One thing I noticed was that even though he had an external frame back pack, jeans and no top, he had some pretty modern hiking boots on...musta got a deal from Montrail smile.gif The younger guy mentioned that he was gonna catch some fish in Ingalls Lake. Apparently some trout have been placed in there.

iain said:

Wow, I was looking at a legend w/o realizing it. He was very friendly. He also has those famous photos of Helens in 1980 right?

Yep. He does indeed. I think on the trail he had some old photos with him of Stuart that he seemed to be comparing to what he saw.

awhile back I agreed to accompany my gf to the WA Concrete and Aggregate Assn awards presentation.....what a sleeper, I thought. She was one of the judges this year because a bridge she designed last year won one of the categories.

This year there was a special category for a 'unique community enhancing project' or some such thing. The only candidate (and winner) was a skate park project on Orcas Island. Warren Miller was on hand to accept the award and give a cool little speech. Seems he was one of the primary drivers and fundraisers of the project in his home community.