Dissed on Mt B?

dkemp

So, my pals and I climb Mt Baker via Boulder Glacier. Crevasses, rockfall, a coupla' steepish parts, ropes, crampons, ice axes, helmets - all that. We get to the summit.

Three guys arrive at same summit via North Ridge and they ask me to take their photo. No problem, says me, how about with Mt R in the background? Dude says, yeah, but not with these tourists in the picture (my team).

Well, I let it go and I took their pic and I congratulated them on their summit but the comment seemed unkind. I mean, Boulder Glacier ain't the N.R. but it don't make us tourists , does it?

Discuss. Or don't.

Dox

p.s. No, it doesn't keep me up at night.

D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

maybe just cause i see the N side all the time but don't way more parties do NR than do boulder?

I would certainly think so. The NR gets done all the time, and gregm had it pegged, it's a classic "think you are a hardman" route. If my gaper ass can get up it in a day with skis on my back, it just ain't that hard, period.

How was the boulder route, BTW?

gregm said:

i believe the nr baker is the classic think you're a hardman now route, kind of like the kautz.

The Kautz a "hardman now route"? confused.gif

Come on now... are we talking Rainier for this one, yes? Those guys on Baker musta been real poseurs. rolleyes.gif

I don't care what route you took to get to the top. That "tourist" comment was just plain rude.

Boulder Glacier is a nice route and probably the least traveled, except for the Park. The swamp approach does suck, but the Deforest Service is planning on rerouting the trail. I expect the Boulder would see more traffic then.