how to stop messenger popups

lummox

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Windows 2k right click on My Computer and go to Manage. Go to the services option in the lefthand pane and open that. Scroll down until you find the Messenger service and open it. Choose the disable option.

jon said:

I gave him the solution to his problem, I think you are the one mistaken, so EA8=D madgo_ron.gifthe_finger.gifmadgo_ron.gifthe_finger.gif

thanks dude. i had to find how to do it in xp. wouldnt known what to do without your help. this is what i found to do:

Windows XP Home

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel

Click Performance and Maintenance

Click Administrative Tools

Double click Services Scroll

down and highlight "Messenger"

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

Click the STOP button.

Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar

Click OK

i had messenger disabled and was still getting them

its using some special sort of admin messenger desighned to send out to network users messages like "the system is shutting down in half an hour"

like i say, in xp, enable firewall and it stops it.

im on stupid win98 at work here but i'll post the info my ISP sent around to us when I get home if ya need it.

unless a Geek_em8.gif beats me to it

With messenger spam, there are two important things to know. First, they're not always from who they say they're from. Second, you can stop them.

It's an increasingly popular form of spam and, according to the site, Stop Messenger Spam, "?you don't need to have an e-mail account, chat client, or Web browser. All you need in order to be spammed is Windows XP, 2000, or NT and an Internet connection."

The spammer uses Microsoft Windows Messenger Service, which is turned on by default (this is NOT the same as MSN® Messenger). This was designed for system administrators to send messages to users on a network. However, recently it is being used for this kind of spam.

Here is an example of the spam you might see:

In many cases the words "Messenger Service" appears in the title bar of the window.

(picture)

To shut the door on this kind of spam, Microsoft has online instructions:

MS link for XP

MS link for 2000 and NT

(Note: Microsoft no longer supports Windows NT. However, the instructions for Windows NT are the same as those for Windows 2000.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/communications/msgrspam.asp