• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Swords too. rolleyes.gif

Three Killed, Three Wounded in California Sword Attack

Monday, June 30, 2003

IRVINE, Calif. — Police shot and killed a sword-wielding man described by relatives as schizophrenic (search) after he slashed and killed two former co-workers and wounded three other people at a supermarket where he used to bag groceries.

About 40 to 50 shoppers ran from the store shortly after 9:30 a.m. Sunday as police went in to subdue Joseph Hunter Parker, who was armed with a samurai-style sword (search) and wearing a beret and trenchcoat, said police Cmdr. Jeff Noble.

The 30-year-old man confronted an officer before fellow officers shot him, said Lt. Jeff Love. Parker was taken to the hospital and did not survive. One of the wounded was a grocery store employee and two others were customers, police said. Police did not release the names of the dead or wounded.

Parker had been diagnosed as schizophrenic, his mother, Susan Davis, said in an interview Sunday from rural Ford, Va. He also was a volunteer firefighter and emergency medical technician.

"He was not in a good state at all," Davis said, adding she had not spoken to Parker in about a year. "He said voices were telling him to do bad things."

Davis said Parker, who moved to California about five years ago, collected swords and was a fan of the "Highlander" film and television series in which the hero is a swordsman.

"I'm just sorry about what happened," Davis said.

Parker's former co-workers said he quit his job bagging groceries about two weeks ago after working at the store for about two years.

"I never felt threatened, but he was just a really odd man," said coworker Mark Ming, 26. "He would have full conversations with himself. He obviously had problems, but he was respectful toward customers."

Parker's sister, Heather Parker, 28, of Anaheim, said she hasn't spoken to her brother in several months.

"He was alone and he was very mistreated his whole life," she said in a telephone interview. "He was being treated for schizophrenia. He's never been in trouble. He didn't drink, didn't use drugs. He was kind."

Love called the attacks an aberration in the quiet city 40 miles southeast of Los Angeles, which he said averages less than one murder a year. About 143,000 people live here.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90747,00.html

I'm sure this is a troll for me, but I don't care. NOWHERE in this article is the NRA mentioned. This is a terrible tragedy. Why politicize it? The loss of life in a senseless manner such as this is nothing to use as a springboard for your gun-hating diatribe. Have some fucking respect. I'm serious.

I am not going to enter a huge drawn out debate on-line about this. I will be more than happy to talk about this incident and gun rights at tonight's pub club...armed with only my wits and brain...spray on that, bitches, go ahead.

Greg_W

Greg_W said:

happy to talk about this incident and gun rights at tonight's pub club...armed with only my wits and brain...spray on that, bitches, go ahead.

sounds like a great time for all! just like the Lincoln-Douglas debates! a true clash of the titans! hahaha.gif

Greg_W said:

I'm sure this is a troll for me, but I don't care. NOWHERE in this article is the NRA mentioned. This is a terrible tragedy. Why politicize it? The loss of life in a senseless manner such as this is nothing to use as a springboard for your gun-hating diatribe. Have some fucking respect. I'm serious.

I am not going to enter a huge drawn out debate on-line about this. I will be more than happy to talk about this incident and gun rights at tonight's pub club...armed with only my wits and brain...spray on that, bitches, go ahead.

Greg_W

JGowans said:

Speaking of Heston, my guess is that his Lear jet is already filled and ready to fly to the latest murder scene to hold a pro-gun rally a la Columbine and others. A strange tactic to the layperson, but it seems to work.

For your information, Charleton Heston has stepped down as President of the NRA due to his diagnosis with the onset of Alzheimer's Disease. Kayne Robinson has been appointed President in his stead.

Further, the "pro-gun rally" you purport took place, in fact, DID NOT. The NRA Annual Meeting (which was scheduled at least a year prior) did take place in Denver or C.S., I can't remember which.

Get your facts straight, MR. Gowans

Greg

Greg_W said:

JGowans said:

Speaking of Heston, my guess is that his Lear jet is already filled and ready to fly to the latest murder scene to hold a pro-gun rally a la Columbine and others. A strange tactic to the layperson, but it seems to work.

For your information, Charleton Heston has stepped down as President of the NRA due to his diagnosis with the onset of Alzheimer's Disease. Kayne Robinson has been appointed President in his stead.

Further, the "pro-gun rally" you purport took place, in fact, DID NOT. The NRA Annual Meeting (which was scheduled at least a year prior) did take place in Denver or C.S., I can't remember which.

Get your facts straight, MR. Gowans

Greg

Thank you for correcting me. Please substitute the erstwhile Kayne Robinson for Mr. Heston in my above statement. I still say Ben Hur made a better pitch man though. The only other voice that could come close would be James Earl Jones but why would a brother endorse a movement that propogates violence against other brothers? evils3d.gif

Greg_W said:

Greg_W

Oh, come on, GW; just pointing out how safe guns make our nation, and on a related note, how great it is to have one of the most powerful lobbying organisations in America facilitating and encouraging gun ownership and espousing the importance of the almighty firearm. It all fits together kind of nice-like if you think about it.

Fence_Sitter said:

a movement that propogates violence against other brothers?

chivo!?!? confused.gif

I have no idea what you said, but I'm guessing you disagree. Fact is, the most likely cause of death for black youth in the U.S. is gunfire. If there were no guns, this would not be the case. The NRA promotes gun ownership and thus helps to propogate gun ownership, and the slew of disheartening statistics that follow said ownership.

JGowans said:

I have no idea what you said, but I'm guessing you disagree. Fact is, the most likely cause of death for black youth in the U.S. is gunfire. If there were no guns, this would not be the case. The NRA promotes gun ownership and thus helps to propogate gun ownership, and the slew of disheartening statistics that follow said ownership.

If guns ownership was removed, I reckon stabbings and 'alternative' forms of homocide will rise to compensate. Guns just happen to be really convenient and efficient.

Kiwi said:

JGowans said:

If guns ownership was removed, I reckon stabbings and 'alternative' forms of homocide will rise to compensate.

bingo

JGowans said:

Fence_Sitter said:

a movement that propogates violence against other brothers?

chivo!?!? confused.gif

Don't misrepresent your opinion, or someone else's editorial comment, as fact. If it wasn't guns, it'd be bats or knives or such. Because the NRA promotes RESPONSIBLE gun ownership does not make them responsible for the actions of individuals who obtain guns in a less than legal way. Besides, Great Britain outlawed handguns but there are plenty to be had in the hands of the criminals over there.

Greg_W said:

Don't misrepresent your opinion, or someone else's editorial comment, as fact. If it wasn't guns, it'd be bats or knives or such. Because the NRA promotes RESPONSIBLE gun ownership does not make them responsible for the actions of individuals who obtain guns in a less than legal way. Besides, Great Britain outlawed handguns but there are plenty to be had in the hands of the criminals over there.

This country has over 11,000 deaths a year from guns. Why is that? I think the UK had 60 or so. Don't feed the fear frenzy.

KINDA HARD TO GO AROUND AND KILL 5 PEOPLE WITH A BAT OR A KNIFE! I MEAN SHIT IF YOU OR FENCE SHITTER WHERE THERE HE WOULD HAVE THE LIVING PISS BEAT OUT OF HIM...IN THE HONOR OF LIFE, JUSTICE AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!