Sleeping pad question

Hairyboys

I need to buy an open-cell/closed cell combo for a 12 day climbing trip in the North Cascades. I was leaning toward a Thermarest Guide-Lite (long) with a Ridgerest (long). I have an Ultralight 3/4 and hate it, so I want long pads from now on.

I do have one of those standard blue foam pads that you can pick up from any backpacking store for $10...nice and wide at 25". Anyone use one of these as their closed cell foam on glacier ice in combo with a Thermarest??

Also, I was looking at the Mountain Hardwear pads...an open cell surrounded by a closed cell shell so that you only need the one pad. Am considering a model called the High Mountain 72. Weight is about 13 oz less with the single MH pad versus the Guide-Lite/Ridgerest combo. Anyone use the Mountain Hardwear pads and whaddidya think of 'em?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one of the blue pads period! I sleep on my sides, but have learned how to stay cofortable with just the foam. The thermarest is WAY to much wieght. Don't beat yourself up, just master your technique. Never had the money for any of that mountain hardware shit! Best i get is MEC>

Go with the RidgeRest ¾ for only 9 oz total…I thought that one would like to experience the outdoors, outdoors and NOT experience the indoors outdoors….believe me …if you worked hard enough when u were awake you will have no problem falling asleep at the end of the day

cantfocus.gif

I have the guidelite. Maybe it is because I am older, but I am willing to carry a lot of crap to stay comfortable. For snow/ice I always also carry a closed cell pad also, just in case my crampon/skipole/knife/etc puts a hole in the air pad.

The MH Highmountain 72 is an excellent pad. Lightweight and comfortable. Sure, it is more expensive than a Ridgerest, but with the open cell foam on top, you will sleep much more comfortably. I've cooked on top of it to, when it was stormy outside. Not a problem. Try doing that with a Thermarest.

JoshK said:

Carrying 3lbs of shit to sleep on top of is plain stupid.

Not if you can comfortably carry it and you sleep better. I may just need more "natural" padding. I am not in any way considered "overweight". The old blue pad I used for years used to wake me up every 30 minutes or so with an arm or leg or hip "asleep".

With the thermarest it is more like every 2-3 hours. Worth the weight to me.