Baker, Easton Gl car-to-car time?

Dustin_B

How long does it take to get from the Schreibers Meadow trailhead (assuming one can drive all the way to it) to the summit via the Easton glacier? Summit to car? Assume firm(ish) snow and average mountaineer endurance. I know you are going to say things like it depends on this or that and what not, so just tell me how long it took you and what time of year tongue.gif I'm thinking 8-9 hours to the summit and 5 back; does that sound resonable? Thanks rockband.gif

Also assume you don't get run over by a snowmobile or one of the armies of people that are bound to be up there.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 13-14 hours (the RT time you describe) is pretty easily doable. There is nothing technical, so you should be able to steadily grind up it and the grade is perfect for fast effecient elevation gain. Just don't get started too late or you'll have to deal with slogging up hill in the snow. Tell any snowmobiliers you see to go fuck themselves! thumbs_up.gifthe_finger.gif

plexus makes a good point, the easton doesn't have much going for it. If technical difficulty worries you, the coleman.deming is very easy and you won't have to deal with the hordes of snowmachines you'll see on the south side. That could really detract from the experience.

JoshK said:

If technical difficulty worries you, the coleman.deming is very easy and you won't have to deal with the hordes of snowmachines you'll see on the south side.

The technical difficulty is not the issue. Climbing it car-to-car in one push is our goal. I heard the area is closed to snow mobiles for the season now. When I was out there last weekend this snowmobile had broken off the only snowbridge going over the river there and was sitting on his snowmobile in the river. We laughed and took pictures and keep going, while his friend helped him out yelrotflmao.gif We wondered how the other snowmobilers would get down and how/if the others would make it past somehow.

JoshK said:

Tell any snowmobiliers you see to go fuck themselves! thumbs_up.gifthe_finger.gif

the snowmobilers really suck (except when they stop by your basecamp and offer you free beer). but check this out, looks like the problems with them are over for the summer: rockband.gif

From the NPS:

NOTE: The Mt. Baker National Recreation Area (NRA) off of Forest

Service Road #13 and

Anderson Creek area off Forest Service Road #1107 are now CLOSED to

snowmobile use for the season due to melting snow conditions. This closure is to

prevent damage to the

fragile meadow vegetation that was protected by the snow cover.

Posted: 6-03-2003

Dustin_B said:

JoshK said:

If technical difficulty worries you, the coleman.deming is very easy and you won't have to deal with the hordes of snowmachines you'll see on the south side.

The technical difficulty is not the issue. Climbing it car-to-car in one push is our goal.

Coleman.demming is a reasonable one-day climb; I've done it twice. I've actually never been on the south side of the mountain, but the N. side is breathtaking, it feels totally alpine and hundreds of miles from civilization. I'd expect the snow would be in better condition for the descent - harder, anyhow - than on the south side. Plus, probably, lots fewer people.

Yes, yes, I meant the Easton.

Emmons, Easton, one day glacier slogs... They blur together.

Coleman Deming gets pretty crowded, too.

I'd recommend Boulder-Park Cleaver. It's a little longer, but absolutely crevasse free up to 9,000 feet. No crowds there.

Found trailhead at 1:00 am Saturday morning after oversleeping for half hour yellowsleep.gif and bushwhacking for half hour rolleyes.gif. Went up Squak Glacier until it joined the Easton, on summit around 10 am, hang out (take pictures, drink, eat), left summit plateau at 11 am, back at trailhead at 3 pm. 14 hours round trip (about what we assumed). Great views and weather.

thumbs_up.gif

Snow was perfect for kicking steps going up. Crampons on beneath slope that leads to crater. Pretty windy on summit although not real cold wind. Knee deep post-holing going down for first 1000 feet or more. Saw probably 6 to 8 skiers but no other rope teams. Steam vents in full force (smelly). Really, really, really envious of skiers going down.

I'm now 1 for 3 on Washington volcanoes. That was my first (successful) Washington volcano!! (not counting Little Tahoma). Good times.

Fairweather said:

Nice trip! I've been up the Easton a couple of times, but it's been a few years. Is the Squack Glacier variation shorter overall with the completion of the new trail? Thinking about heading up that way in a couple weeks. Or maybe Boulder Galcier.

do boulder glacier...nice views! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Fairweather said:

Nice trip! I've been up the Easton a couple of times, but it's been a few years. Is the Squack Glacier variation shorter overall with the completion of the new trail? Thinking about heading up that way in a couple weeks. Or maybe Boulder Galcier.

We took the Squak Glacier because it is a more direct line from the trailhead than going up the railroad grade and then onto the Easton. I don't know about a new trail making it shorter because we lost the trail and just followed a tree-lined ridge up to it. The Squak Glacier also starts higher up so you can rope up later (if you're roping up). It seems like it is less crowded too as we didn't see anybody until we joined up with the Easton around 8500 - 9000 feet, after which we only saw skiers.