Sir Ed Disses Beer Drinking

Dru

from today's Globe and Mail:

KATHMANDU -- On the eve of the 50th anniversary of his historic ascent of Mount Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary scolded the legions of climbers partying at base camp, saying he doesn't class "knocking back cans of beer" as mountaineering.

There were about 1,000 people at base camp with "a booze place for drinks and all the other comforts," he said at a news conference yesterday.

"Just sitting around in a big base camp, knocking back cans of beer, I don't particularly regard as mountaineering," he said.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif You tell em Ed bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairweather said:

Sir Hillary reminds me of Harvey Manning. "I've had my big adventures! Now, lets lock everyone else out and force them to look at the great pictures I took yore...in this book I am selling for only $29.95!"

Dude.....have some respect. Hillary not only pushed the limits of his day, but ever since, he has given back to Nepal by building schools and supporting other great projects in that country. I met the man once and he was very humble and gave full credit to Tenzing even though everyone knows Ed hit the summit first.

He's got every right to his opinion and you can imagine what a distinguished guy like that must think when he sees a basecamp full of wankers kicking back and swilling beer like a bunch of frat boys in down parkas. (Ain't we wild and crazy?!!! We're climbers and we're getting tanked at Everest Base Camp.....that's cuz we're just a bunch of wild and crazy climbers!!!! Just like them wild and wacky Burgess Brothers!!! yup! wild and wacky!"

Sounds like a pretty pathetic scene to me! And its basically a party up there in celebration of HIS achievement!!!

- Dwayner...who prefers to drink elsewhere.