sabertooth frontpoints

epb

I just bought a pair of BD Sabertooths for general use. What's up with the frontpoints on them being dull as shit right out of the box. The frontpoints look like flat head screwdriver tips. How are these supposed to be sharpened? Anyone know?

I'm also considering just selling them, and picking up a pair of Grivel G12's instead. Anyone got any opinions on these two crampons.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A file works well to sharpen the front ponts

I've got the sabertooths and like them for the tele boots, primarily because the bail can be set so the front points extend beyond the toe tab. I've goofed around on vertical ice in them and found them to suffice. They're no good for 3/4 shank leather mountaineering boots (no safety strap). I think the Grivels are a better all-round crampon, but not as well suited for tele boots

my $0.02

Bite me rat. Just looking for opinions and info. Those BD frontpoints look like scredrivers tips. All the other points on the crampon are fully sharpen, was wondering what the deal was before I started filing. No other crampon I have ever own or seen, has had their frontpoints come filed down flat liek that. Seemed strange. As far as my questioning in regards to the Sabertooths vs. G12's....I got these sabertooths for 25 bucks, and was wondering if they were worth a go instead of buying another pair of G12's. Everyone seemed to get down on them on "the worst piece of gear you own" thread....so I figured I might not even bother with them and just get some cash for them instead, and put that toward another pair of G12's. None of my mates own a pair of Sabertooths, so I figured I would ask for some info on the cc board. What's so fucking stupid mate?

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

epb,

Sabertooths are the shit...I love mine. I gave away my old thrashed Grade 8 monopoints and now stricktly use the Sabers. Try them out before you sell them. The frontpoints should look like a flat head screwdriver that has been filed sharp. I other words, they are wide points, but should be beveled sharp. You shouldn't need to sharpen them. If you do, use a hand file, otherwise you could ruin the temper. Hope that helps, give them a chance! -Lambone

That's good to hear lambone. However, the frontpoints just don't seem like they could penetrate any ice the way they are. Being shaped like flat tip screwdrivers, I can imagine in soft ice or snow how they could possibly hold better then normal points...however on hard ice, I can't imagine them penetrating it very well.

actually epb, i am the dumb shit. i am the dumbest shit that ever walked the face of the earth. my parents were dumb shits. i come from a long line of incredibly dumb shit. and yes, i would bite you if only you would let me. it would be my greatest pleasure to nibble you from head to toe. but alas i am unworthy and i know this (being as i am a dumb shit). can i at least buy you a beer sometime?

i am rat and i suck.

epb, the Sabertooth frontpoints look flat headed, like a screwdriver but shoud be sharp out of the box. If not you can probably exchange them or do warranty stuff with BD. If impossible I for one would be happy to buy them from you.

On the other hand, keep them and you won't regret when climbing steep ice.

quote:

Originally posted by epb:
God damnit. How the hell can a flat head screwdriver head be sharp...there is no point to be sharp???

I gotta be missing something here. Rat was right..I must be a dumbshit.
frown.gif" border="0

Man, SHARP, not "pointy". The edge of your knife is sharp, not pointy (although the end may be pointy) a chisel is sharp, not pointy...see what I mean?

This one's for you Slappy. [Moon]

It is embarassing though. However, in my defense, what other crampons have front points shaped like chisels. So what's up with the methedology beyond there shape, why not make them proper points like the rest?

i have m10's and it is like having guy lacelle attached to each foot. m10s are for ice gods. maybe with my m10s and quarks i will be able to lead wi 4 rolleyes.gif" border="0

off to therockies in 16 hours now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this time Saturday I wil be rapping off something with the light of my new TIKKA shining away and a bottle of rum waiting all happy like back at the car... grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by epb:
This one's for you Slappy.
[Moon]

It is embarassing though. However, in my defense, what other crampons have front points shaped like chisels. So what's up with the methedology beyond there shape, why not make them proper points like the rest?

None. And the reasoning is more resistance to shearing out in rotten ice or soft snow. You figure the very end of the picks on your all-mountain axes don't come to a sharp point and they penetrate fine...same deal. Also, the Sabertooth is designed to be a general set, not a steep ice tool (although they apparently work well in that capacity). And yes, we're all dumbasses.

EPB,I'm with lambone on this one- I've used the Sabretooths on hard Alaskan alpine ice and found them very secure. I too was skeptical about the shape of the points, but don't be put off. Also, for hard mixed ground they are without peer- the screwdriver points are superlative for hooking on rock. The secondary points are also great for hooking and give a nice aggressive feel when you drop your heels on ice. I also have M-10's; for pure ice I will say they might be the overall best choice, but as an all-rounder the BD's are the WAY.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: W ]

by the way, they can be kept sharpened quite easily- run the file in a forward direction, over the downward arc of the points, which will preserve the width of the points, and sharpen them frequently. The biggest drawback I find with them is that the frontpoints are not replaceable, so when they are done, so are the crampons. Give them a test drive on mixed too-they're way better than you might think.