BDBP.....adze and hammer?

highclimb

i bought myself a pair of Black Prophets last year when they were clearing them out because they stopped production. now i have a question....the adze and the hammer are different than the rage, cobra tools.....do they still make the adze and the hammers for the BP's? what happens if i break one of them? i know its unlikely that i will but i was still just wondering.

Thanks,

Aidan [Wazzup]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are good questions Aidan. That is part of the reason I sold mine to Ibex. When I sold them yes they were available but only if you specifically ordered them.

Now I got some Grivels. From what I understand they have been using the Cascade pick and hammer design I have for many years. I like to rely on a company that does not change things on me. Therefore reducing my chances of wanting to buy other tools because they phased mine out, or reduced the production. Another reason I am not gung ho for some of the BD stuff all the time.

I hope you can find some if you need them. I recommend buying a spare set of picks in case they stop making them. They can say "we will continue making them" but I dont believe it much. What happened to the BD Fin biners wink.gif" border="0 ?

Black Diamond Mail Order2084 East 3900 South Salt Lake City, UT 84124 phone: 801.278.5533 fax: 800.775.7625 or 801.278.5544 email: bdmo@bdel.com

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

actually ray, the stinger pick is the best one bd has made in awhile. other then the aermet. but bd changes their pick design by lengthing it and make it a little wider so it could meet ce requirments. i feel the stinger pick cleans easier.

bd ice tools hace had the same adze, hammer and pick attachments for almost 15yrs now. and i donot beleive they are going to change it, especailly without supporting the last 15yrs worth of gear. sure the cobra heads are different, but it ia a different breed of tool all together. people that don't know how to use them think they suck.... ihave used them a few times and with concentrated techniques they rock, but i do not own them so i will not swing them, well atleast until i can afford them.

one reason the fin biner went out was because of quality control issues. though they do rock for ice.

so aidan do not worry about bd abandoning their equip and like bone said they prob gots tons of them. and the newer adze with the drop down then center fits the older bp.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:
You wrong erik they are diffrent. Mine did not fit old shit.

hmm i must have gotten new old shit that was new and worked on old shit. were you attaching them correctly i know at first the bd system is slightly confusing.

Aidan -

If your looking to buy BP Adze/Hammer's Mountain Gear in Spokane (alias mgear.com) has them on clearance for $17 each. Black Diamond usually keeps a stock of spares for all of their discontinued tools, but I wouldn't necessarily count on this in the future.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by highclimb:
thank you all,

i was just wondering since they dont make the tool anymore. i feel bad for you cpt.! why did you sell them?! they are the best tool ever made!!!

Aidan

They are fantastic tools. I look to the future of climbing and needing new picks hammers etc for my tools. Plus they got heavy climbing multi pitch ice. I used my partners tools that were much lighter and decided I wanted lighter tool. 98% of my climbing with them is on waterfalls so I dont need them much for alpine ice.

quote:

Originally posted by wdietsch:
Hey Cavey,

If I remember right didn't you say something a while back about buying the DMM Flys?

Yep they are good. But I finally made another decision. The Grivel Light machine weighs same about. Also the radical curve is better for waterfalls. I plan on getting some flys for alpine ice though.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]