Copyright

fleblebleb

How does copyright work for posts on the board?

If somebody wanted to include posts in something like a guidebook, would there be any need to contact the posters?

Can posters retain copyright of their posts if they mention that explicitly?

Does the site registration agreement mention copyright? (I know, I'm too lazy to read for myself...)

Just curious...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

usually, fleb, anything submitted or published in a venue as such, is still the copyright of the artist. However, once you have submitted or published in media, that media reserves the right to future publications, sans compensation, unless you were savvy enough to get a single use contract signed before you submit artistic works.

and as for quoting people in a guidebook, pulling things off a web site does NOT count as a "quote;" you need to get that direct from the poster.

for example;

'As Dan - stated in his account of a record breaking climb of Rainier, " i thought i could pull the wool over everyone's eyes' is not considered to be factual enough for quoting. You need to get quotes direct from the source, and not off the internet.

I don't really know, but I imagine that this is viewed as a public forum and once someone posts something it becomes public property and there aren't really a whole lot of restrictions on its use. The only party that might have a superior claim of ownership or copyright would be Jon or Tim, but that is doubtful.

Are you bringing this up after seeing the "copyright" autosig on the Rainier thread? I figured hmmmm somebody's thinking book here. Could be a good one, if written cleverly. If there's a movie, I want to play Pierce Stuggart. Geek_em8.giffruit.gif

If you write it you own it. If somebody else uses something you've written in a book or magazine article without your consent, you can sue them. Permission must be acquired from a writer before anything they have written can be legally reproduced.

If a photo is taken from this website and submitted for publication by someone other than the photographer the person who stole it could be sued as well...

You may however, quote something from a site as long as the source is noted.

For more information on this, log onto:

Copyright Myths

Jason

jason

once it is on the net without a water mark it is public domain.

the url which is easily found with a right click and then selecting properties is all that is required when hotlinking as a citation.