I done gone and hurt myself real good

layton

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support y'all. I've been watching a lot of TV and drinking lots o' bigdrink.gif.

As soon as I get a ride to the library or bookstore, I'm gonna try and learn French and/or Spanish through a book or tape. Unfortunately my guitar is at Necro's house. No pool table, but we've got a weight room and a ping-pong table. Ping pong is way out, however. I gotta wait till I can exercise since my arm, neck, and back still hurt.

Good call on the bad karma. A few weeks earlier Matt anderson and I were hiking in to climb the Fox and I looked up and saw it the first time. So I naturally said, "Sweet Jesus!"

As it turns out, some dude up hiking nearby and asked me if I was looking for Jesus in a real brainwashed "I'm a big freak" sorta tone after he mistook my exclamation of awe for the rockclimb for some pathetic cry for salvation.

Anyway...I told him, "No I'm not looking for Jesus, I found him in a bag of Orange Sunshine years ago."

I broke my foot in almost the same spot I said that. Thanks Jesus. mad.gif

I had a similar experience climbing in the New River Gorge in WV a few years ago. Is it a coincidence that the best climbing seems to be in the areas with the worst health care? The highlight of my hospital stay in WV (before the 'rents got an ambulance to drive me to a hospital in my hometown in VA) was the neurologist who did reflex tests with his rubber mallet on my fractured left heel and on my right knee above the compund fracture/dislocation of my ankle and tibula. Not to be xenophobic but his ability with the English language also left a lot to be desired. He did understand when I told him to "GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY ROOM".

I've been climbing in Mexico a few times in the past couple of years. If you think emergency healthcare in the U.S. leaves a lot to be desired in Mexico it is practially non-existent.

On one occasion I saw their SAR guys, at a craig called Los Perros, rappelling on a manila rope that was tied directly to a metolius bolt hanger. They had nifty uniforms!

Then when you get to the hospital remember this- more people probably die from diarrhea in Mexico than accidents. There is very little invested in shock and trauma care. Two good friends of mine are doctors from Mexico. They share my fear that the worst thing that could happen to you in Mexico is a bad car or similar accident.