When can I climb?

Just broke 4 metarsals on my right foot and one on my left. I'm getting surgery to have them reset and pins put in next week. Anyone broken these bones before?

All I wanna know is how fucked am I, or when can I put on my rockshoes and climb some shit besides the tooth.

also, any estimates on driving abitilty? How long before I can leave this shitty town Las Vegas and get back to B'ham in my manual truck?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's "only" metatarsal fractures, those don't have a reputation as being the worst kind of foot fracture. (Just ask Allison or Stefan.) Breaking four of them is a pretty big injury, but if the rest of your foot has not been injured, you could maybe start back to basic activities in a couple of months, more strenuous activity in more like 3 months. One thing I'd ask your surgeon is if you might have a Lisfranc injury as well. This is where the ligaments tear between the bigger and the smaller bones of your foot, about halfway between ankle and toes. These kind are particularly nasty, because your foot ceases to be a stable platform and wants to give way in the middle. Not always easy to diagnose either. But it doesn't sound like this happened to you.

Those foot jams and other odd torsional forces you may apply when climbing rocks are probably going to hurt for a while. But I would guess that once you're healed, they won't pose a risk for repeat injury. Just don't take any big whippers while you are still healing. Chin up, dude! You will get better! thumbs_up.gif

Yes, I broke one of those in a Strongman competition and climbed Kilimanjaro 6 weeks later... You WILL heal, especially if you're somewhat aggressive with your rehab training. Get someone to help you find what you can do in the interim so you don't lose your baseline of fitness, and keep moving, whether that's swimming (arms only), biking (boot in a walking cast) or elliptical training (doesn't require movement of the foot, that's what I used almost exclusively). Good luck.

Norman_Clyde said:

If it's "only" metatarsal fractures, those don't have a reputation as being the worst kind of foot fracture. (Just ask Allison or Stefan.) Breaking four of them is a pretty big injury, but if the rest of your foot has not been injured, you could maybe start back to basic activities in a couple of months, more strenuous activity in more like 3 months. One thing I'd ask your surgeon is if you might have a Lisfranc injury as well. This is where the ligaments tear between the bigger and the smaller bones of your foot, about halfway between ankle and toes. These kind are particularly nasty, because your foot ceases to be a stable platform and wants to give way in the middle. Not always easy to diagnose either. But it doesn't sound like this happened to you.

Those foot jams and other odd torsional forces you may apply when climbing rocks are probably going to hurt for a while. But I would guess that once you're healed, they won't pose a risk for repeat injury. Just don't take any big whippers while you are still healing. Chin up, dude! You will get better! thumbs_up.gif

I have to agree with Norman here. It's been 7 months since my accident. I have no problem walking or doing normal stuff. I do have problems or slight pain when I exceed the normal stuff. However, that slight pain has somewhat shifted and the pain is not my bones anymore, it is my ligaments. Once you damage a ligament.....that's it--unless you have surgery. It does not sound you injured your foot not even near what happened to Allison or myself. For longer term affects your bones and muscles will be fine for your injury. The real problem may be your ligaments.

By the way, since you are laid up, are you watching Jerry Springer? I did when I was laid up. That stuff was my opiate for the day.

Bones heal in a couple of months. Your doctor will tell you when that part of recovery is done. Soft tissue takes longer, and pain is going to give you a lot of feedback on what you can do and when. I think with broken metatarsals you might find a slingshot rand shoe is going to put uncomfortable pressure on the affected area, but you are going to be able to determine that better yourself.

Stefan is 7 months out, and I am almost 7 years out, and I'm guessing my pain is worse than his is at this point. As NC (who is an MD) points out, some of our injuries are worse than yours, though in the same accident where I broke my right calc and talus, I also broke a metatarsal in the other foot. That foot has arthritis in it now. With your injury, you can pretty much count on getting it too, though not for a couple of years at least. Just so you know, it's a lot more painful than you might think.

After you are completely healed up, you might look at getting some custom orthotics. They can be a big help in maintaining what you have. My arches are falling, and the combination of the weakening of the soft tissue with the compromised bones and joints don't paint a very pretty picture.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk about this some more with someone who knows what you are going through.

AW

Dude it is only your feet!

I have broken both ankels pretty badly....much worse to recover from. Broken metatarsals more time than I can count. Between 39 and now 49 breaking them has gotten a lot more painful and it takes longer to heal. Enough so that I decided last year I was NEVER going to break one again. Breaking metatarsals had become a part of my job description. Just about killed my feet and my climbing. I use to wear 9.5 rock shoes and loved them on my size 11.5 foot. Now the only way I get into a shoe is with a pair of sox and it has to be big and comfy. I am using one of the 5.10s but can't remember the name of the model right off, "old guy shoes" would be a good description with a heel pad. My feet are getting better now with every season. I can wear my sport shoes for short periods but not more than a few pitches as of yet. I figure late this fall I will be game again for more. Give it time and let the pain tell you what you can and can not do. That is the best control of your rehab IMO. When it hurts, stop doing it. Advil is a good catch all. The sooner you get back on your feet without doing them any additional damage the faster you'll be climbing again at your past level.

Good luck!

Damn hard to climb hard in shoes that roll off your feet....but better than not climbing at all wink.gif