Cheap TI pots?

Bronco

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i point out theMSR blacklite aluminum two quart pot weighs only one ounce more than the MSR titanium two quart pot, and make a comment on optimum pot size, and i get the criticism? look, until they offer the stove that doesn't need a pot, look at carrying at least a quarter pound in a pot. what's two ro three ounces more in one system or other? Ti isn't that much lighter than aluminum.

i've used a two cup cup on a superfly plenty of times, it's just not the most efficient.

didnt the original poster ask about a "snow melter?"

Edited by Beck

Saying "anyone who cooks in a sub 1- liter pot in the backcountry hasn't done much backcountry living" is not an opinion, it's just stupid. That's like me claiming anybody who doesn't climb with at least a 10.5mm rope has no climbing experience. rolleyes.gif

But, whatever, maybe you and allison have some past grudge I'm not aware of. If that's the case, battle on. boxing_smiley.gif

no, josh, if i see you melting snow in a sub 1 liter pot out on a trip I'll call you stoopid to your face, buddy.

I'm just offering up my opinion based on lots of out time, we used to sledge a eight quart pot on group trips.

two quart blacklite pot nine oz, two quart ti pot eight oz. until they come up with the stove that doesn't need a pot, you will carry a quarter pound pot, minimum.

That being said, i've used two cup pots on lite trips. it's not efficient for melting snow though.

Btw,

Alum- if coated and/or electrically anodized there is no reason for health concerns. Also, the aluminum has the best even heat distribution/heat retention of all metals and it is more robust then any Ti pot out here. For an ounce or two in the weight difference u can save allot more on liquids weight (i.e. gas) with less possibility of burning your food and having more cash in your pocket for longer trip wink.gif

In reality Ti is for showoff (or money gumbies) do side by side comparing and see for yourself

cantfocus.gif

Beck said:

no, josh, if i see you melting snow in a sub 1 liter pot out on a trip I'll call you stoopid to your face, buddy.

Your original comment made no mention of melting snow, it was just about the backcountry in general.

In any event, what's up with all the agnst? I dont know you, but you certainly seem like a bitter old man. Did some young punk with a lightweight Ti 1 liter pot pass you on a route or something? hahaha.gif

Beck said:

oh, i'm not bitter- you "go lite" titanium ounce counters crack me up!

You people worried about about what others are doing so much crack me up. Let people carry what works best for them and quit calling them stupid for it. You sound bitter even if you don't think you are. wave.gif

I remember this one time at band camp, or was it Girl Scout Camp, when I was like, well, eleven, we did this trip around Mount Olympus.

We hardly argued about which Ti pot was better or whatever. It was more like, "are you going to finish that Mac and Cheese, or WHAT?"hahaha.gif

JoshK said:

You people worried about about what others are doing so much crack me up. Let people carry what works best for them and quit calling them stupid for it. You sound bitter even if you don't think you are. wave.gif

Not to butt in …

But my beef is with the ridicules campaign of “light and fast” (push to the extreme). There are so many ways to save effectively on weight (sleeping gear, shelter, backpacks, boots etc), that the reduction in 1 or 2 ounce out of your cooking set will not make the crucial difference. Sure u “take care of the ounces and the pound will take care of them self,” however, the total result of using Ti cookware is not highlighted (extra gas, heat transfer deficiency, bad design, etc) like the emphasis in the weight of the cookware…that is what I call hype and for that I contest.

Look at any professional cookware manufactures and look at core of their product in the middle of it is Aluminum (cost isn’t an issue mind you…just superiority of metal properties)

cantfocus.gif

Gee, it's really been too long since I argued about pots. Come on! Who cared if you use a five gallon or a two cup pot! You people have so little to spray about?

Oh, Beck, ridiculing someone about their pot is pretty stupid. So don't. thumbs_down.gif

JoshK said:

Oh, I agree. 95% of the time i use my 1.5 liter aluminum pot. I was simply taking objection to him calling people stupid for using anything but, as if he was the grandmaster of outdoor cooking or something. hahaha.gifrolleyes.gif

agree!!! Poor choice of words I will say…however Gullible it is more appropriate relaying on manufactures biased interest …just do a quick research before spending the hard earned cash (which so little of it coming my way these days) and base your decision accordingly cantfocus.gif

I'm also a little sick of this little "argument" about cookware to melt snow with, jeesh! It's not as if there's much argument FOR ti pots, anyway.

i'm trying to distill good advice.

my original post-

"anyone who's cooking in a sub-1 liter pot hasn't done much backountry living. 2 liters is a good size for one person or 2.

you can drink tea and stuff, and have washing water, and stoves work more efficently on a larger pot anyways."

i'm just trying to help. the dude was looking for a snow melter, and ti pots aren't much lighter than alumiunum, and a bigger pot saves you in the long run on fuel. and its all just a couple of ounces in the pots anyways. and ti doesn't work as well as a thermal conductor for pots either. and you need a bunch of water in the winter anyway for drinking water as well as cooking so a bigger, like two quart pot might be a better choice anyways.

some of these observations were posted by sphinx as well.

...just trying to help out. but a person melting snow in a sub 1-liter ti pot is still stupid, josh.

Edited by Beck

oh, i'm as stoopid as the rest of you. I've used a cup, or a sierra cup, as a pot on plenty of ultralite trips. And drunken cold instant coffee sans stove, sans pot, on trips to save weight as well. I've made plenty of cups of tea in a twelve ounce enameled mugs.

the origional poster was looking for a snow melter, and my original post mentioned the weight savings between the MSR titanium, and the aluminum blacklite two quart pots was a matter of one ounce.

i'm just trying to help. And if you go melt snow in a sub liter pot, you're still stupid. you will waste fuel, and probably have to carry more weight on anything other than an overnight trip, than the weight savings from a titanium mini cooker.

Try to save weight in areas you can really shave weight. Go from 8 pound tent to 8 ounce tarp, save seven and a half pounds.