Solo Ice climbing?

salbrecher

I go solo top rope aid and free climbing and know and have heard of lots of other people who do as well, however, I got to thinking, do people go solo top roped ice climbing? Seems so me if you had a bomber ancor (trees, lots of screws, gear) that it would work just the same. Do people not do it because of objective risks like ice falling or breaking off? Nothing can replace a belayer but i'll be moving to Kamloops and climbing in marble canyon and might not meet any iceclimbers by the time the season starts.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

salbrecher said:

I go solo top rope aid and free climbing and know and have heard of lots of other people who do as well, however, I got to thinking, do people go solo top roped ice climbing? Seems so me if you had a bomber ancor (trees, lots of screws, gear) that it would work just the same. Do people not do it because of objective risks like ice falling or breaking off? Nothing can replace a belayer but i'll be moving to Kamloops and climbing in marble canyon and might not meet any iceclimbers by the time the season starts.

At best, I am a marginally skilled ice climber but I am a fairly focused solo-er. I was wandering through the Wallowas late last winter and found a 200' low angle waterfall with several easy escapes to the side. I happened to have my tools & rigid crampons with me and decided to give it a shot. It probably went AI 1+ (maybe 2). I took my time and made sure every placement was perfect. I never got sketched and I felt that I was safe the whole way up. Really, when have you ever fallen on ice within your ability when on lead? I suspect that when focused, alert and confidant the chance of falling is slim on ice. Maybe I'm just fooling myself.

icegirl said:

Didn't some guy fall about 3 years back soloing on the cable out at Banks Lake? Broke himself real bad and crawled to the road (not really that far if you know the area)

I think he was on H202 and from what I understand he was leading rope solo. When he fell, his device did not catch on the rope. The rumor was that his device didn't bite on the icy rope...

Like icegirl said, I understand that he was injured severly. I even recall something about a coma...

Anybody know what happened to that guy? Did he make it? I looked for it in Accidents in North American Mountaineering and didn't see it.

Jason

how can u possibly imagine u won't meet ice climbers in kamloops. the outdoor education dept in cariboo college is full of them. phone iain stewart-patterson. and there are "citizen" climbers in kamloops too. call up garry brace. and people are coming up from vancouver every weekend. tons of possibilities...

cheers, don