Being a Guide

JGowans

I've been entertaining the idea recently (not too seriously) of changing out the corporate life for that of a mountain guide. I am by no means an accomplished climber, but am curious nonetheless.

What would it take to be a guide? Anybody here work as a guide? Do they ever make any money (I know it's not much if any)? What is it like to do it day in day out?

I know about the AMGA certification process and it seems like it'd take about 50 years to complete...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine freelances as a guide and he lives month-to-month, and sometimes gets food stamps. Better sell that landrover. He has a good time with it, however, and he only takes 1 or 2 people at a time on routes rather than rainier pack animal style. Unfortunately, many mountains in this area are not very accomodating when it comes to commercial activities.

yes, sorry. I'm not aware, however, that you can just "sign up" for a permit to guide on Mt. Hood. I know you have to be licensed by the state marine board, of all places, but after that you still need permission to operate on USFS land and I'm not sure how that is done or if it is even possible.

rbw1966 said:

You mean not very accomodating to unlicensed commercial activity. Get a license or concesssion and you're golden. Don't get one, learn to be quiet.

Are you talking about Rainier there Rob? I thought you only needed to be licensed for Rainier?

I certainly haven't thought to the degree of being a licensed independent outfit, but would rather like to test the water so to speak by tagging along as an equipment mgr. or something with a more established firm part-time for example.

More to the point though, do you and the others have an opinion as to how rewarding such a job might be?

you need to obtain permission to operate a commerical venue on public land, as you would be profiteering. i believe requirements are insurance/bond and an amazing abilty to kiss ass.

i personally think all guide services and guides should be required to spend atleast 40-80 hrs a year improving the land/facilites that belong to all of us in which they use to make money.

Necronomicon said:

All that third class terrain you used to run down, you'll get to short-rope some helpless tool down it now. Dr. Lawyer with all his brand new gear and no clue. Fuck that noise.

Obviously that's a detraction but in one shape or another, we deal with assholes on a daily basis. If I could do it outside in an atmosphere that I love, then it might only be half as bad as in a stuffy office.

I have heard this complaint before too though, and it'd be interesting to hear how some guides deal with that...

JGowans said:

rbw1966 said:

You mean not very accomodating to unlicensed commercial activity. Get a license or concesssion and you're golden. Don't get one, learn to be quiet.

Are you talking about Rainier there Rob? I thought you only needed to be licensed for Rainier?

I certainly haven't thought to the degree of being a licensed independent outfit, but would rather like to test the water so to speak by tagging along as an equipment mgr. or something with a more established firm part-time for example.

More to the point though, do you and the others have an opinion as to how rewarding such a job might be?

Not sure how it would apply to guiding but I know that in my former hobby those that chose to go pro found that they lost sight of their personal goals. They spents so much time looking for clients, catering to clients, sucking up to clients, and planning for client goals that they never were able to focus on their own. Something to consider

erik said:

i personally think all guide services and guides should be required to spend atleast 40-80 hrs a year improving the land/facilites that belong to all of us in which they use to make money.

That's actually a really good point. I wonder why they don't have such a stipulation in place? Then again, wouldn't that be akin to truckers having to spend 80 hours a year fixing potholes?

you will be selling your passion for a few dollars. in essence turing something you love into work and no longer something pleasurable.

if you need, i know this hungarian mtn guide, he like circumnavigates in a big way and shit....

JGowans said:

Rewarding? You mean as in personal fulfillment?

My picture of guiding is of anything but that. First you get yourself sick to death of something you currently love (mountains, climbing). Second the pay just can't be that good. Third, the "helping" you do for people is in the realm of helping people with enough money to spend 250$/day do something they consider "extreme".

If you're looking for something you could start doing right now to help people and still have enough time to go climbing, I would recommend becoming a teacher or a fire fighter. bigdrink.gif

JGowans said:

I've been entertaining the idea recently (not too seriously) of changing out the corporate life for that of a mountain guide. I am by no means an accomplished climber, but am curious nonetheless.

What would it take to be a guide? Anybody here work as a guide? Do they ever make any money (I know it's not much if any)? What is it like to do it day in day out?

I know about the AMGA certification process and it seems like it'd take about 50 years to complete...

You know how to make turkey sandwiches??

Yes, I am talking about personal fulfillment. Teaching is definitely a worthy occupation but one that in my opinion is altogether undervalued in this day and age. Moreover, aside from the massive vacation time, I don't think I'd gain the freedom that I'm looking for. Hmmm.

there is the reward of talking someone through something they don't think they can do and seeing them do it and getting to witness them grow from the experience. that's worth at least something, but you might not get it with every client. I think it's less about the climbing and more about the people stuff. until this is realized, you might be frustrated in the business. you certainly won't be climbing the routes you really want to be climbing.

Why would you want to spend the time training MORE people how to survive in the Alpine environment? The more people there are that complete guided alpine climbs and climbing courses, the more people will eventually end up on the hill, sans guides, doing all the stupid shit that they forgot about during their course. More crowds for everyone. I prefer the survival of the fittest/ D.I.Y. approach myself. Let them die like flys if they can't do it on their own.