My final analysis of our actions in Iraq -

allthumbs

I believe that these people dislike (hate?) us, and will continue to dislike us. Knowing that, I believe what we are doing will demonstrate to some of these other knuckleheads (I'm talking about the political and religious leaders) that they had better think twice before they allow attacks against the US to be launched from their soil. I think we are demonstrating very effectively what will happen if they don't get a handle on the violently anti-social nuts in their midst. I personally believe that Iraq was more than an incubator for anti-American sentiment - it was a nursery. The target audience knows who they are. I doubt they will like us more for what we are doing, but they might think twice before risking their sovereignty.

I'll agree that we don't know how this will turn out, but would point out that we don't know how it would have turned out if we hadn't taken the offensive. Neither side can be certain that their position was the right one. I can't help but think that some of the frustration felt by the opposition is because they will never know whether their solutions (?) were the right ones. I think the collateral damage folks speak of is fairly certain in the Arab world, but less certain in the rest of the world. I'm not convinced that making some of our traditional allies take a stand is a bad thing. Going forward, it will be critical to know who shares our vision of how the world should function.

Hussein was a sworn enemy of America, and more than likely he allowed other enemies of America to operate within his borders. The political climate in America changed such that his behavior would be addressed. I find the arrogance charge interesting. I view it as a backhanded attempt to shame and silence the opposition. It appears to be applied to those who are willing to take risks. "He did it without knowing for certain what the outcome would be!" The charge is just as applicable to those who advocate non-violent solutions. It seems to have been vigorously marketed by the left.

As mentioned above, a bunch of our allies share the responsibility for the diplomatic failures that led to the current situation. Had they shown us the respect we deserve, and understood the urgency some of us feel for the safety of America, they might have worked a little harder to help us to prevent military action. Seems to me we were pretty clear about our intentions. The ones who didn't listen are the ones I consider the fools. I'm one of the 50+ percent who don't care whether we find WMD's.

And I wonder; isn’t the UN just a formalized setting for buying votes based on the members self interests? I'm sure that some times even mutual interests are addressed. I don't see anything wrong with purchasing our safety and security. Imperialism? I'll bet you that we won't be in Iraq any longer than we stayed in Europe after WWII.

trask bigdrink.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright then, how 'bout a yoke for the college folk?

A college teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. "Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow to write this exam. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!"

A smart-ass guy in the back of the room raised his hand and asks, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

The entire class does its best to stifle their laughter and snickering. When silence is restored, the teacher smiles

sympathetically at the student, shakes her head, and sweetly says,

" Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand."

JGowans said:

ChrisT said:

yellowsleep.gif

Chris, If you're tired...ah forget it. I was going to offer up a mildly witty innuendo that has most likely been sprayed before.

Hey, did oyu ever get up Hood this Winter?

Nope...still waiting for a mountain hardman to drag me up there! grin.gif

trask said:

Alright then, how 'bout a yoke for the college folk?

A college teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. "Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow to write this exam. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!"

A smart-ass guy in the back of the room raised his hand and asks, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

The entire class does its best to stifle their laughter and snickering. When silence is restored, the teacher smiles

sympathetically at the student, shakes her head, and sweetly says,

" Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand."

Now that's worth reading! cantfocus.gif