Nobody Gets Life Insurance!

Jens

Just curious...but why not lie? I don't know shit about insurance, but it seems that if you did die from climbing, they'd have to prove you were climbing before you got the insurance, etc. I dunno, it sucks, that's for sure.

Edit: doh, just saw trask's post. That's exactly what I'm saying. Fuck'em.

Edited by JoshK

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you lie on your insurance application and the insurance company finds out your family will not receive benefits. Period. Trust me on this.

I recommend doing a search on rec.climbing for some feedback on various insurance companies. Some charge more, some less, some don't care at all.

Do the homework. There are insurance companies that do not charge exhorbitant rates for climbers. Kemper is one that I recall off the top of my head. I think Safeco is another.

Making a fraudulent representation on an application for insurance makes the contract null and you lose the money you pay. In addition, in some cases if the insurance company has already paid your family benefits and they learn of the misrepresentation they can sue the family for the return of the proceeds. I've seen this in action. Quite frankly, I think my family will be happy enough to see me go without having an insurance company pissing on their parade to get their money back.

rbw1966 said:

If you lie on your insurance application and the insurance company finds out your family will not receive benefits. Period. Trust me on this.

I recommend doing a search on rec.climbing for some feedback on various insurance companies. Some charge more, some less, some don't care at all.

RBW is correct on this! It's not worth the risk of lieing 'cause they will find out if they want. I am currently getting this worked out. My agent is "working" with me on this. Seems I will be at risk for for first 2 years if I have it as an exclusion, but after that, all is good. Doesn't make sense, but WTF? I use USAA for auto only. They suck elsewhere.

• 9 months later...
I use USAA for auto only. They suck elsewhere.

I got USAA home insurance back in 2000. The reason I picked them is because they did not ask if your house was bolted to the foundation for earthquake insurance. Mine isn't and all the other companies I got quotes from were double the price because of my foundation. Anyway, that is one thing I can say in favor of USAA.

A memo that I received from AMGA says that:

Rocky Mountain Insurance Network is excited to offer all AMGA members the opportunity to purchase a Simplified Issue 10-Year Term life insurance product. And the great news is "rock climbing" won't cause a rating or decline.

If approved, you will receive your policy within 2 weeks.

The Life insurance is issued and underwritten by Pan-American Assurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Pan-American Life Insurance Company, which has an A.M. Best rating of A-(Excellent).

I say join the AMGA and get the goodies...

Erden.