SARS is coming

catbirdseat

Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (SARS) is apparently caused by new variant of the corona virus, which a major cause of the common cold. Clearly it is very contagious and spreads just like any other cold. It is only just a matter of time before everyone in this country is exposed to it. I expect to get the disease within a few months, and so will all of you. I sincerely hope we all survive it. With luck, climbers who tend to be in good physical condition will pull through. The flu of 1917-18 however seemed to be indiscriminate in who it felled. Even the young and strong succumbed. I hope it is not like that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plane Quarantined at San Jose Airport

Tuesday, April 01, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. — An American Airlines flight from Tokyo was quarantined on the tarmac Tuesday at San Jose's airport after five people on board complained of symptoms like those reported from the mysterious flu-like illness spreading through Asia, health officials said.

Two passengers and two crew members, plus a fifth unidentified person, complained of symptoms similar to those found in severe acute respiratory syndrome -- which has afflicted hundreds in Hong Kong and killed at least 64 people worldwide.

It was not immediately clear when the people became ill, only that they reported to the crew during the flight that they "think they may have SARS," said Joy Alexiou, a spokeswoman for the Santa Clara County Public Health Department.

Alexiou added that "we're pretty sure four of the five tranferred from Hong Kong to Tokyo."

Flight 128 from Tokyo to Mineta San Jose International Airport stopped on the tarmac short of the gate mid-morning Tuesday, and ambulances lined up near the plane as the 125 passengers and 14 crew members waited on board after the nine-hour flight.

American Airlines notified the airport that help was needed after "the captain was informed of a passenger needing medical assistance," said Todd Burke, a spokesman for the airline.

More than 1,600 cases of the illness have been reported so far worldwide. Officials say it's unclear whether exposure on a flight is sufficient to infect people.

Alexiou said the passengers and crew members who feel sick will be transported to a hospital for chest X-rays and to have their travel history checked before they are classified as suspected cases of SARS.

"This thing seems to spread a little easier than first anticipated, so we want to take every precaution," Alexiou said.

Others on the plane will be given medical advice and allowed to depart -- but told to immediately contact a doctor if they develop any symptoms, she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82851,00.html

wave.gif

catbirdseat said:

You can run but you cannot hide...The Grim Reaper approacheth. Repent while you still are able.

I'm sorry I'm a liberal ... I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry. Hail Bush!! Hail Bush!! To our dictator ... uhhh ... leader!!

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

What the Hell is going on here? You people getting ready to put on your Nikes and go through the tollgates or something?

Let me break it to you easy:

Saddam is dead (or badly wounded).

Within days the keys to containing SARS will be known.

Chill out. smile.gif

RobBob said:

What the Hell is going on here? You people getting ready to put on your Nikes and go through the tollgates or something?

Let me break it to you easy:

Saddam is dead (or badly wounded).

Within days the keys to containing SARS will be known.

Chill out. smile.gif

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif I don't care what anyone else says I am listening to robob grin.gif oh this is me woith my fingers plugging my ears sining LALALALALALALLALALALALLALA

sexual_chocolate said:

I've been sick for over a week now. I doubt it's SARS. Just some fever, really sore throat, headache, yellow pus dripping out my nose. But my throat's getting tickly, along with my bronchial tubes.

Hmmmm.... Time to see the doc?

no, just let it take you