greenish

minx

Some thoughts for the conservatives who rail against the greenies.

Can conservatives work for a better environment and be true to their politics? Interesting thoughts on the topic. Nice history lesson if nothing else

...This is the question John Bliese has taken up in his book The Greening of Conservative America (Westview Press). Bliese marshals an impressive array of evidence for a proto-environmentalist streak within conservatism in the post-war years—proof, he says, that conservatives can comfortably approach environmental issues from within their own intellectual tradition. This issue is particularly important to Christians, whose faith counsels a sacramental vision of nature and opposition to the hubris underlying the modern economy and its institutionalized disregard for the care of God’s creation. “You cannot know that life is holy if you are content to live from economic practices that daily destroy life and diminish its possibility,” writes Wendell Berry.....

Full Article

http://www.utne.com/pub/2003_116/promo/10361-1.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that conservatism can ever be reconciled with conservation of natural resources. The two are diametrically opposed. Natural resources and the environment are the common possession of all the people. Conservatism is all about all power and wealth going to the individual according to how hard he works (or else bribes, steals or cheats). To a conservative, anything owned in common is something which simply has not yet been claimed by an individual (or corporation). To a conservative, there is nothing more important than the immediate accumulation of wealth, and that includes the preservation of common resources for future generations. Much of conservative philosophy comes from Christianity which preaches that resources were placed on earth by God for the explict purpose to be exploited by man (interpreted as whichever man gets there first).

Environmentalism is at some level conservative in that it is opposed to change.

But political conservatism is opposed to social and economic change, and environmental conservatism is opposed to environmental change. Since its the current economic and political system which is causing much of the environmental change, the two philosophies conflict.

Of course, current conservatism is Industrial era liberalism (individual liberty and rights, pro-industry, increase of wealth) and current liberalism is Industrial era radicalism... and you could argue that curreent environmentalism is as influenced by Industrial era conservatism as it is by radicalism.

fruit.gif

Dru said:

Environmentalism is at some level conservative in that it is opposed to change.

But political conservatism is opposed to social and economic change, and environmental conservatism is opposed to environmental change. Since its the current economic and political system which is causing much of the environmental change, the two philosophies conflict.

Of course, current conservatism is Industrial era liberalism (individual liberty and rights, pro-industry, increase of wealth) and current liberalism is Industrial era radicalism... and you could argue that curreent environmentalism is as influenced by Industrial era conservatism as it is by radicalism.

fruit.gif

Dru is smart. Its all a rather intellectual argument since politics in real life don't follow the traditional liberal / conservative paradigms. If conservatives were all for less government, for example, then what's up with Fed's involvement with state's rights and the medical marijuana issue?

RobBob said:

Catburd, you are playing fast and loose with, among other things, the term "natural resources." For instance, I own the mineral rights under my real estate. They are natural resources. I also own the timber on my land. Etc.

Yeah but if you live next to a riparian area you can't cut down the trees along it, or fuck with the river bank even if its on your property. Property rights are not absolute.

specialed said:

RobBob said:

Catburd, you are playing fast and loose with, among other things, the term "natural resources." For instance, I own the mineral rights under my real estate. They are natural resources. I also own the timber on my land. Etc.

Yeah but if you live next to a riparian area you can't cut down the trees along it, or fuck with the river bank even if its on your property. Property rights are not absolute.

and ya can't usually bust the pimpin dope rhymes out your bedroom speakers at max volume cause of noise bylaws.

Dru said:

spoken like a true lefty... i have run into plenty of selfish liberals out there. mostly "i got mine" union members.

I feel I must act like more of a left winger than I actually am on cc.com because it is so top heavy with vocal right wingers. It would be way to boring if we just let the conservatives run the whole show.

Dru said:

ya but salmon dont spawn on beaches, oolichans do.

dru, I'm at the mouth of a major river. the salmon cruise around my beach all the time (in fact they die here sometimes after spawning). the ecologists and state fucks claim that there's some microscopic fish dna or some shit here on the beach. they'd like to stop us from building and screwing around with our beach-front, but they don't have the legal power to do so.