High altitude weight loss clinic

Bug

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gravity at the poles is greater, because the earth's surface is closer at the poles to the center of mass. This effect even alters the passage of time very slightly. I will need to look at my physics and astronomy books to make sure, but the theory of relativity shows that time passes more slowly in the presence of a gravitational field. So if you spend enough years at the poles, you may live longer. Or maybe it will just seem longer. fruit.gif

Norman_Clyde said:

Gravity at the poles is greater, because the earth's surface is closer at the poles to the center of mass. This effect even alters the passage of time very slightly. I will need to look at my physics and astronomy books to make sure, but the theory of relativity shows that time passes more slowly in the presence of a gravitational field. So if you spend enough years at the poles, you may live longer. Or maybe it will just seem longer. fruit.gif

But as you approach the speed of light, time slows down. Therefore you should head to Chimborazo, on the Equator, where you will be orbiting faster than anyone else on the planet if you want to live longer.

Hey Ryland the Atacama desert in N chile, Bolivia etc. is temperate/subtropical dry belt, same latitude S that N hemisphere deserts are N (more or less).

as for the time dilation thing: gravity is higher at the poles but velocity is lower (smaller circle around axis of rotation) so it probably cancels out.

anyway lets not forget the whole solar system is moving at 33 km/sec towards Mu Hercules. that's even faster than Dan Howett and his dog on Rainier!

Dru said:

heres what always bothers me about time travel stories, if you move through time but not space, youre gonna end up floating in the vacuum somewhere cause the Earth wasnt in the same place back then. Geek_em8.gif

you're treating time and space as the limited human constructs that they are Shortest distance between two points is not a straight line for crying out loud rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Dru said:

here's a link to some chinese science on fat loss at altitude

This article does not address the question of when the body starts decreasing the number of fat cells vs. just shrinking them. I have no trouble losing weight. Eat less run more. The problem is that I still have the fat cells and they pop right back to plumpness with even a hint of laziness. This is why it is so much harder for us fat people to lose weight and keep it off than it is for people who have never been over weight to keep it off.

I am still looking for a used copy of cheeburga_ron.gifbigdrink.gifcheeburga_ron.gifbigdrink.gifthumbs_down.gif 'High Altitude Medicine and Physiology'. Then I will document my claims. $98 from Amazon is the best price I've found so far.

What Dru said.

It's all about energy balance, amigo. Keep the energy expenditure up or the consumption down.

If you are really interested in reading more about this stuff plug in the words "Weight Loss Altitude" Here (PUBMED) and you'll find 56 articles that have something to do with this stuff.

Some Examples:

Partitioned weight loss and body composition changes during a mountaineering expedition: a field study.

Wilderness Environ Med. 1998 Fall;9(3):143-52.

Weight loss at high altitude.

Adv Exp Med Biol. 2001;502:237-47. Review.

PMID: 11950142 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Energy and water balance at high altitude.

News Physiol Sci. 2001 Jun;16:134-7. Review.

PMID: 11443234 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Influence of hypobaric hypoxia on leptin levels in men.

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Jun;24 Suppl 2:S151. No abstract available.

PMID: 10997640 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Decrease of subcutaneous adipose tissue lipolysis after exposure to hypoxia during a simulated ascent of Mt Everest.

Pflugers Arch. 1999 Dec;439(1-2):134-40.

PMID: 10651010 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

The effects of high altitude trekking on body composition and resting metabolic rate.

Horm Metab Res. 1997 Sep;29(9):458-61.

PMID: 9370116 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Water turnover and body composition during long-term exposure to high altitude (4,900-7,600 m).

J Appl Physiol. 1996 Apr;80(4):1118-25.

PMID: 8926235 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of altitude on body composition during mountaineering expeditions: interrelationships with changes in dietary habits.

Ann Nutr Metab. 1996;40(6):315-24.

PMID: 9087309 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of acute exposure to reduced atmospheric pressures on body weight, food intake and body composition of growing rats.

Acta Physiol Pharmacol Latinoam. 1985;35(3):311-8.

PMID: 2938414 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Read them all and summarize the result for us.... laugh.gif

Dru said:

i heard it is impossible to "eat" or get rid of, a fat cell. they just deflate and inflate. rolleyes.gif

try liposuction.

righto. liposuction and climbing at or above 19000' are supposed to be the only ways to eliminate fat cells as apposed to shrinking them. I think you are catching on. smirk.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Bug, I think you are on to something...open a liposuction clinic at 19,000 ft.

BTW, where did you get your stat of 18,900' for Orizaba? I think you are deluding your self. I have seen eles from 18,400 ish to 18,700 but expect it is acctually on the lower side. I got a good 4 satalitte fix from the summit and it was just shy of 18 5. And for what little it is worth; it felt like a little over 17.

Terminal_Gravity said:

Bug, I think you are on to something...open a liposuction clinic at 19,000 ft.

BTW, where did you get your stat of 18,900' for Orizaba? I think you are deluding your self. I have seen eles from 18,400 ish to 18,700 but expect it is acctually on the lower side. I got a good 4 satalitte fix from the summit and it was just shy of 18 5. And for what little it is worth; it felt like a little over 17.

Self delusion is my specialty. 18900 was what another guy told me. Maybe I was talking to myself but it was on the internet so it must be true. Anyway, it's out due to it's small summit. I will be back on Denali within the next two years. Hopefully, I will be able to get above 19000 a couple times. I'll do the WR with friends then, conditions permitting, I will do the upper W Rib. Thanks for the info.