Becky's on the front page

Bob_Clarke

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not uncommon for authors to promote books. You can call it a sellout but you don't have to buy the books or see any talks or whatever if you dont want to. I would imagine all the time spent putting together that book was a piece of work. Book editors artists mapmakers etc seem to be a real pain in the ass and it's necessary to deal with em especially when they make errors or assumptions that are incorrect.

I look forward to the new book. I know he put a lot of effort to it.

http://www.ohs.org/publications/Range_of_Glaciers.cfm

On the comments about sellout (not that I took them seriously but somebody will) - Given his age and timing for him I think it's good the elusive guy comes out to make appearances. Maybe he wanted to make a good impression instead of people reading and hearing things through word of mout. Maybe he wants the chicks to check him out cool.gifcool.gif Maybe he just wants to be remembered a certain way.

I heard the TV interviewers didn't know much about him and didnt ask very many good questions. I wonder how it will turn out.

wave.gifthumbs_up.gif

Beckey should have become a National Treasure with full benefits long ago. This country doesn't go in for that sort of thing, which is more the pity.

At any rate, I'm going to go to at least one of the presentations and encourage others to do so. Just think of how many times you've pored over Fred's books and the stories you've heard and read over the years. Fred has done nothing but good things for us.

The man's got to make a living somehow. Money doesnt come out of thin air either, unless you are winning the lottery or willed it.

He's doing some book signing\promotions down in Oregon this weekend. Maybe some folks should check it out. I just dont know precisely where.... bigdrink.gif

That dude's hard to get a hold of unless you are on his next planned trip. He's probably dropping quarters in a phone booth right now or looking at some gals. I wonder what's going to happen when he breaks down and buys a cell phone cantfocus.gif

I dont know where he's going to be. But I think he's down in OR today until monday or so. I imagine in PDX.

Cpt.Caveman said:

He's probably dropping quarters in a phone booth right now or looking at some gals. I wonder what's going to happen when he breaks down and buys a cell phone cantfocus.gif .

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif It would neber happen. I t would KILL the pay phone companies. Also he'd probably get a SAT phone and be callin' people up while he was belaying you somewhere 15 pitches up Mt. Mysterious Remote Unclimbed

Here's the info on the PDX situation. The first event is this eve and is members only (Oregon Historical Society).

For OHS Members only Fred Beckey presents a talk and slide show this Friday, March 7 at 7:30pm in the Madison Room at OHS (entrance on SW Madison Street, between Park and Broadway Avenues in downtown Portland). Free of charge. Seating limited to 60.

Fred Beckey will also make two public appearances this weekend:

Saturday, March 8, 2:00 p.m. Booksigning with Fred Beckey (a public event)

Oregon Historical Society, Madison Room (entrance on SW Madison Street, between Park and Broadway Avenues in downtown Portland). Free of charge, open to the public. Seating limited to 60.

Saturday, March 8, 7:30 p.m. OHS and REI Present an Evening with Fred Beckey: A Benefit for the Friends of Forest Park. 1798 Jantzen Beach Center, Portland (west end of Jantzen Beach Super Center). Admission $3 for OHS and REI Members; $5 non-members.

Information: 503/306-5223 or kerstins@ohs.org (OHS) or 503/283-1300 (REI)