got the canadian rockies waterfall ice book handy?

JoshK

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just climbed Gibralter on the way up. Follow logging road about 10-12 miles out of Canal Flats. Beware of logging trucks. They don't slow down for you! It was butt cold that morning so we put on too many clothes for climbing in the sun! There is NO avy danger cause there aint no snow Period! Beware if it's warm and sunny though. Don't underestimate the power of radiant heat!

While there is relatively no avi hazard, that doesn't you will be free for falling stuff. While rappeling down, we were in this sheltered belay when a LARGE chunk of ice fell off (due to the sunny exposure) and then broke into thousands of pieces which flew over our sheltered position. Was pretty cool to see from the safe vantage but would have really sucked to be in the shooting gallery. Just as bad as a avi. Get a early start.

Great climb though and well worth the drive.

You might find that locating the loggin road difficult. No worries though. Ask a local were the Gibraltar wall is as most of them are familiar with the place.

genepires said:

You might find that locating the loggin road difficult. No worries though. Ask a local where the Gibraltar wall is as most of them are familiar with the place.

Go past the mill and hang a right.

So anybody want to guess how crappy the weather will be in anal flats given this current storm blowing through. On the one hand I dont really want to sit here on my ass this weekend. On the other I dont feel like battling 8 hours through snowy roads just to be getting dumped on while climbing and bail out.

Cranbrook: Issued 4.00 PM mst Thursday 6 March 2003

Tonight .. Cloudy with occasional snow. Accumulations of 1 to 3 centimetres. Wind east 40 km/h. Low minus 12.

Friday .. Mainly cloudy with occasional snow. Further snowfall accumulations of 2 to 4 centimetres. Wind east 40. High minus 5.

Saturday .. Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 11. High minus 2.

Sunday .. Cloudy with occasional snow. Low minus 8. High minus 1.

Monday .. Mainly cloudy with occasional snow. Low minus 1. High plus 1.

Normals for the period .. Low minus 5. High plus 6.

Dru said:

Tonight .. Cloudy with occasional snow. Accumulations of 1 to 3 centimetres. Wind east 40 km/h. Low minus 12.

Friday .. Mainly cloudy with occasional snow. Further snowfall accumulations of 2 to 4 centimetres. Wind east 40. High minus 5.

Saturday .. Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 11. High minus 2.

looks like near perfect conditions..

watch out for deer and shit on the hiway during the storms.....

Dru said:

Yeah, I saw that...so, I'm taking it from your post that anal flats is going to be mostly the same as cranbrook? I don't know the lay of the land so well in that area. It does look pretty good.

erik said:

Dru said:

looks like near perfect conditions..

watch out for deer and shit on the hiway during the storms.....

I have a howitzer mounted on my roof. It's dave's job to man that thing and keep the highway clear for me.

CANAL FLATS/ CRANBROOK ARE BOTH IN THE ROCKY MTN TRENCH....SO YUP THEY ARE LIKE NEAR IDENITCAL..

MAYBE CHECK WITH RADIUM TOO

RADIUM H.S. + CRANBROOK = CANAL FLATS..

I WILL GIVE YOU A NICKLE TO TELL A LOCAL THEY LIVE IN ANAL FLATS....

Skisports said:

I bet you make the laides that you take out on dates pay for the date

who me??

hell yeah i do!

how do you think i can avoid work for 6 months of the year???

actually if i am actually interested in pursuing a serious operation, i will spare no expense for the lovely lady.....

situational of course....