From rock to ice

Mer

Just thinking about the upcoming change in seasons and the transition from ice to rock. After climbing ice all winter do you anticipate being strong and having a really steady head when leading?

I tend to have less pro in an ice pitch than in an equivalent rock pitch so you’d think it would help with feeling calm when way above gear. Yet last year it was the opposite for me, I may have been strong, but when I got on the rock it felt so unwelcoming that I was totally sketchy. I missed the feeling of being attached to the ice and just felt like I was going to slither off the rock any second. Eventually it went away, but it was a strange sensation. Does anyone else feel weird for a while when switching mediums? Maybe I should just boulder for a day or two till I’m over it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ice climbing you are leashed to portable jug holds called "tools" all day long

rock climbing is much less secure especially slabs and crimpers require technique not found ice climbing

mentally just focus on the bigdrink.gif afterwards

I was expecting to feel super confident on rock after getting a lot of ice in during my first season, but I actually felt weaker and more tweaked out on my return to rock than I had at the tail end of the previous season of rock.

While I knew that some of the ice that I had climbed was objectively more dangerous than the rock routes I was getting on, the physical differences between the two overwhelmed any sense of confidence or comfort I might have gained from this knowledge. My forearms were weaker, I hadn't had to trust tiny crimpers and edges in a long time, it was taking me two and three tries to grab the right gear, etc. Maybe if I had done both all winter it would have been different, but as things were having spent some time on ice just really didn't help my rock climbing at all. madgo_ron.gif

I climb from rock to ice with a handfull of pitons usually. It's fun. Just when you think you got the hang of rock climbing in all your winter gear you have to switch. If you really go out and challenge yourself you'll find there is no need to worry about transfering problems with 'exposure'. If you dont trust your gear well.......... I guess you have a different dilemna than ice skills transferring to rock dont ya wave.gif