REI Talus pack upgrade?

slothrop

I bought an REI Talus 50 pack (the old yellow version) from someone on cc.com a while back and it's served me pretty well for a year or so. I was looking at the latest REI catalog (good toilet literature) and noticed that the new version of the pack solves the stupid design flaw that bugs the hell out of me: the little elastic cord used to secure the floating lid. It's a retarded design. My problem is that the hook on the end of the cord keeps breaking apart from the sleeve that holds it in place. I have had to resort to duct tape, but the nature of the repair is not very well-suited to a duct tape solution. It keeps breaking again and again.

Since the new version of the pack fixes the design flaw (you secure the lid with regular clip buckles now), do you think REI will let me upgrade? Feel free to chime in, REI employees.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While i'm not an rei employee i do now that if YOU feel that the product is defected you can exchange it. So for example when i ripped my gaitors with my crampons i had them repaired for free cause i felt it was a product defected.

How was you ripping your gaitors a product defect? The gaitor was not designed to stand up to sharp points of steel. Personally, I usually don't buy from REI and don't exploit generous return policies. If you buy it and don't like it, your fault, you inspected it before you bought it and ran the chance of not liking it. If there was a manufacturing defect, then of course I would take it back.

My ISO just returned that same pack. That chord to hold the lid is the stupidest thing ever on a pack. He had problems w/the straps breaking when he's carry skis on it so he just took the cash and went elsewhere. But yeah, they took it back. Hope the new one works out!

Attitude said:

If you return an item without a receipt (obviously, since you didn't buy it from REI), you can only get store credit in return.

this isn't entirely true. they have records of most things you've purchased using a membership on their computer. they were able to look up the purchase price and date of the pack. they gave him cash w/o a receipt.

cracked said:

How was you ripping your gaitors a product defect? The gaitor was not designed to stand up to sharp points of steel. Personally, I usually don't buy from REI and don't exploit generous return policies. If you buy it and don't like it, your fault, you inspected it before you bought it and ran the chance of not liking it. If there was a manufacturing defect, then of course I would take it back.

You missed the point dumbass. The point was that i felt it was a defect so i got to have them fixed moon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gifmoon.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Return that junker. It sounds like a legitimately flawed design. REI sells Arc'teryx packs, don't they? Trade that ratty old duffel in on a new Bora. rockband.gif

Yeah, I think I'm going to put my dividend to good use and trade up for a Khamsin 52 or something similar. I just want a light alpine weekend pack with a few goodies. Something between a burly Dana-esque fortress and one of those GoLite garbage-bags-with-packstraps.

the way I see it is I can pay full retail + tax (i.e. pricey) at REI and have the option of returning something if it doesn't work out how I like or I can order from mail order or internet for cheaper and not have that option. I think it's sometimes worth paying more if I think an item may not work out. Of course, for technical gear that I want input on, I may decide to go to a specialized local shop.