Tacoma climbers unite

DPS

I read a post the other day that got me thinking. There are quite a few climbers in Tacoma, yet we do not have our own gym. I know VW just opened in Bremerton, but I have no desire to commute there just for some gym time. The gyms at UPS and the YMCA are quite limited.

I wonder if anyone has considered the feasibility of starting a co-op to build and run a non-profit gym in Tacoma. Warehouse space is abundant and cheap. A small group could build a few walls, and expand as more people join/invest. Costs could be kept to a minimum, as staff salaries and profits would not need to be met. I know a fellow who has designed and built a couple of very nice gyms who could be enlisted as a consultant.

I have no idea if liability insurance would be needed or if there are other considerations I have not thought of. At any rate, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this and if anyone else is interested, or if this is a completely crackpot idea.

Dan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a freind who posts here sometimes...He tells me that he used to ride the train for an hour and a half (one way)through Tokyo to get to the climbing gym. The train cost $15 and the gym cost $25. A three hour commute and $40 just to climb in a super packed gym. shocked.gif" border="0

I'm not sayin that a gym in Tacoma wouldn't be cool, 'cause every city should have one...but, I think sometimes we forget how good we have it here in the US. tongue.gif" border="0

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: lambone ]

Bremerton

5934 State Highway 303 NE.

Bremerton, WA 98311

Phone 360.373.6676

verticalworld3@mindspring.com

I'm a little curious why they opened one in Bremerton and not Tacoma. My bud who has been setting some routes there says it's very nice though, with higher walls than the other gyms.

No, there is not much for gyms in Tacoma (and yes, the town is a bit of a cultural vacuum) but you guys are underestimating the potential for the UPS gym. I realize it is small, but that is part of its appeal, most times I have had the place to myself to crank the tunes and get a damn good workout in after work while waiting for the Narrows bridge traffic to settle down.

What you all are forgetting is that it is small and run pretty much as a coop, and a very low-key one at that. Are you listening DPS??? This means that anyone who joins is welcome to set new routes or just play with the holds. Opportunity for learning and experimentation? I think so. There are boxes of holds there just waiting for someone to fondle them. Really the only thing limiting this facility is the lack of constructive participation in its upkeep and new route development.

And it only costs $99 for non-students to join for a year.....can you say cheap???

OK, there is my shameless plug. I can't climb there anymore so y'all (I am still practicing my accent) better get on it!

They opened a VW in Bremerton cause we have absolutely nothing else here!! It's at least a few hours drive to get climbing just about anywhere.

Dave, it's on Hy 303 one building north of Skateland. Make a left turn at the United Rentals driveway. I haven't called yet, but I believe it's open now.

Finally, somewhere to take the boys on a cold rainy day....

Jim shocked.gif" border="0

Seems like rumors of plans for a Tacoma gym have circulated before, and if the rumors were true, there may have been trouble finding investors. After years of driving to Seattle gyms, and even living in the neighborhood to be near a gym, I gave up on the idea of a Tacoma gym and built a garage wall. It's tough to get motivated without other climbers to push you....it's particularly tough when I can reach into the fridge for a coldy while hanging from jugs on one end of the wall!

Seems as if Otherguy has rated me after all. What is ones self if it is not compared to others????

I am curious though, who amoung you has actually climbed at the UPS gym? I have a strange affection for it and I wonder if others might not feel the same way.... Or perhaps there are a bunch of you out there who have heard that it is only a converted raquetball court and not worth your time.

OK so it is only a converted raquetball court. Life is what you make of it, no? There are however some really talented route setters there. If there are more lavish plans in the works, people like Justin Canny, the UPS recreation coordinator and Josh (don't know his last name but he is a super nice guy and one awsome climber/route setter) should be contacted as possible resources. Let me know if you want to get in touch with them... My new address is tshawytcha@aol.com.

yeah, I still have no job and plan to milk it for all it is worth...............

I climbed at UPS last year and am going to reup for next year. You can't beat $100/year even if it is a bit small.

I used to think Tacoma was a pit until I moved here. Quiet neighborhood, reasonable priced housing, three miles to work and YMCA, one mile to UPS, four miles to Pt. Defiance and muddy trail running all to myself, less than a mile to coffee and good beer, and no traffic. Yeah it's a pit. I hope it stays this way.Terry