Approach bindings

specialed

Anyone have any beta on bindings that would be compatible with plastic mtneering boots for approaching climbs. Brands, where to get them, etc.? Would bindings for split boards work?

I know its Friday evening and all. But I got a midterm tomorrow, so I'm stuck at my desk. Sweet.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're looking for something cheap, but I'd still recommend the silvretta 500's or 404's which are pretty common in rental shops since they fit so many boots out there. They can be found on sale frequently, and rental shops often sell them off (but you might have to pick up some beat-up skis with them). They are also great skiers, contrary to what many believe, and the release works well. 404's are heavy. 500's, much less so but more plastic.

Boomtown in Nelson BC has some old Silvretta 300's in the back. No lock down the heel parts though, so no good for skiing...

Look for something like that in your local old gear repository...

Chech out the PIKA website and look at the Sastrugi binding. Bet you could rig something yourself...

... ...

I tried locking my mountaineering boots into my cable tele bindings once, it seemed fine on the living room floor but was incredibly painful on the snow. The muscles in my feet were getting a beating. I barely made it from the Baker ski area parking lot to Pan Dome Falls and back. I don't think you can get more simple/cheap/lightweight bindings, but unfortunately that's not an option in my book.

I'd be entertained if you went ahead and duct-taped the skis to your boots yelrotflmao.gif

Why not just snowshoe?