• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
pope

Gym vs. Sport: Compare and Contrast

Gym climbing is fun! The fact that it is peripherally related to other forms of climbing is just a bonus.

Sport climbing is fun! The fact that it is peripherally related to other forms of climbing is just a bonus.

Trad climbing is fun! .....

Climbing: the moral equivalent of golf.

(a fun (I'm told-golf that is), self-indulgent recreational activity, of no use to anyone, moderately to severely damaging to the environment depending on the area, whose advocates take very seriously, spend vast amounts of money on, etc....)

mushsmile.gif

oh, and snaf.gif I guess, eh...

And to address the "serious" topic, anyone read Games Climbers Play? Classic essay by Lito Tejada-Flores, circa '70s (recently reprinted in the book of the same name) that basically addresses the issue very well: i.e. various forms of climbing are designed to offer a "reasonable" amount of challenge - why ladders across crevasses, having a doctor at base camp and other expedition-style shit is ok in the Himalayas but not for a day at the crags, etc; why nothing other than chalk and a crashpad is the rule for bouldering, while tents, aid-gear, radios, etc. are de rigueur for alpine walls, blah blah.

"climbing: a sport/passtime/activity/lifestyle where you pick the hardest way up something and then artificially make it easier"

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_up.gifwazzup.gifwazzup.gifwave.gif

This guy said it best:

fruit.gif

catbirdseat said:

RuMR, go get lost. You're acting like a two year old.

WAAAAAAAAAAH!! hahaha.gif

the_finger.gif

BUMP....

Oldie but goodie...

I'm bored...so someone call dwayner to the fire... the_finger.gif

Rumr: sounds like your little buddy is a real keeper. I suspect you will have him converted to the dark side in record time though. (If past history is a predictor of future of perfomance your results may vary) grin.gif

So what has happened in the year since your post?

ahh not much...i don't get to climb w/ him much since he's swimming so much now...says that's where the scholarship money is, and climbing is just a hobby...still wicked strong though...

and i did manage to drag him down to yosemite and thrash him in some cracks...the kid was all smiles about it though... cantfocus.gifyelrotflmao.gif

POPE to RUMR..Punkass dayglow spandex plastic mechanic

RUMR to POPE..over the hill stick up the ars trad geek

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Dudes it's all climbing

Should'nt this tread be in spray that way we could all get down boxing_smiley.gif