getting cats to think it was their idea

allison

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several cylinders of chicken wire, approx 2 inches in diameter, linked together side by side, enough to cover the top of the monitor. Allows plenty of air circulation, would be uncomfortble for a cat to step on as their feet would tend to go into the holes. if needed, a few hair brushes placed in the matrix could provide a little more 'uncomfortable' factor.

Cats are so persistent you'll basically need to put something up there that will make it uncomfortable to hang out there. With our cloud-o-cats at home, we've gotten a lot of practice at dealing with this. But practice doesn't always mean anything, sometimes we win (rare), sometimes it's a draw, a lot of time, kitty(s)wins.

As you know, any physical shooing (squirt bottles, bad kitty , etc) only works when you're around, and once they catch on, will then only work when they see you actually grab the squirt bottle.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to make the top of your monitor look pretty silly. They hate walking on crumpled foil that crinkles and moves under their feet, so that's one idea. They also hate tape, so a few strategically placed strips of double sided tape might do it, or sticky side out loops of regular tape. I love the small rolls of chicken wire idea, I'm going to use that one.

If kitty isn't horking after every grub inhale-athon, maybe it's just easier on your nerves to let kitty win. Sometimes this is just the way it works out. Gotta love 'em!

Edited by MtnGoat

allison said:

Is there any way to keep her off of that monitor, for sure, and permanent-like?

If you have something heavy you can put on top of the monitor (without covering the vents), that might do the trick. You could also try wiping a cloth with vinegar on the top of the monitor. Cats hate the smell of Vinegar.

That sticky paw thing sounds like it would do the trick, too. My cousin put scotch tape on my cat's feet for fun once and she did NOT like it at all!

trask said:

whatever Iain. I don't know shit about it other than people in business laugh at macs for anything other than graphic work.

These people "in business" say the same thing about macs and, not surprisingly, use your same excuse: "because other people say so." blah blah blah.

Allison, just glue some thumbtacks to the top of your monitor.