Plastic vs Leather

carolyn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I have had quite a few people suggest Scarpa Invernos to me - both on this site and in the stores and climbing community around here (what there is of one here anyway smile.gif)

While I was in a local gear shop (NOT rei tongue.gif) this weekend I spoke to someone a little more on the boot issue and tried on the Invernos.

The guy suggested I apply to work their winter expo. I guess they hire people to lug around tables, direct people, etc. In exchange you get paid (just over min wage) and then can use your check toward employee prices for gear. He wouldnt tell me how much it would be discounted off the 419.00!!!! He did tell me If I worked three days I would DEFINATELY be able to purchase them with just the money I make from the expo.

Im scheduled to work the entire weekend for my other job. Trying to get out of it. Sent in my appl. today. Fingers are crossed!

Oh ya, Mark Twight and Peter Athens are scheduled to do presentations at the expo (not together grin.gif). Anyone seen either of them speak? We are pretty starved for climbing entertainment out here, though...so anything will do. Im curious to hear Mark's presentation though.

Anyway, thats my update on the boot situation. keep those fingers crossed that they will hire me for the weekend and I can get out of my other job!

chau!carolyn

ooops, my mistake...nepal extremes are the boots Ive been looking at , not invernos.

[This message has been edited by carolyn (edited 10-24-2001).]

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]

In my opinion its pretty hard to find a boot that will "do it all" If you try to compromise you may end up with a boot that will do a lot of things ok, but will do nothing great. That's what I found with my Super Mtn 9s at least. I sold them and got a pair of Lowa Civetta plastics and I think it was the best thing I ever did. Believe it or not, they are actually far, far more comfortable that the big leathers were. I think the important point is finding the boot that fits you right. I got so excited about the Super mtn 9s a few years back that I just found the right size and bought them. I soon realized that they would make my toes numb for weeks after a trip. I've done ten mile trail approaches in my Lowa's and find them to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

So that's my advice. Pick an activity and buy boots that will do it well. They'll still do other things and if you find you self spending most of your time doing a different activity, then down the road you buy another pair of boots. And ultimately, don't concern yourself too much with what boot someone else says is great becuase it might totally suck for you.

Good luck

kevin

Mark Twight is speaking in mpls, not seattle on 11/10. sorry. I just interviewed to be a stock girl horror for the expo so I can get that massive discount. If Im real lucky they might let me belay on the ice wall. tongue.gif" border="0

Might not leave me time to see twight. frown.gif" border="0 But I will try.

oooh...we got an inch of snow last night! grin.gif" border="0 Too bad its all blown to hell from the 50 mile an hour wind! Windchill...well below zero all day!Gotta LOVE minnesota! smile.gif" border="0