Salomon Pro-Ice Boots, Kayland Revolution,

COL._Von_Spanker

Has anyone used these? I tried a pair on and they seemed pretty comfy. I wonder how they are for approaches and what-not.

I'm sort of looking for something to replace my plastic, but am not sure if I to abandon them. I have trango s' but they sort of hurt my feet lately, and there are certain things that I prefer a beefier boot for.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried on the kaylands last night, and they would destroy my feet. I was worried I would get blisters in the 5 minutes I had them on. The transitions between the heel cup and the ankle was very severe and too low, it dug into my heel like a miner in a gold rush.

The salomons on the other hand were quite comfy, one of the best I have tried on; though I have yet to talk to anyone with a "report from the field".

They may fit, but if they fall apart or have some other weird quirk that boots often had I would like to know. It's like buying a car; it may drive great and feel oh so nice, but before i drop the dime I wanna know whether or not it has inherent defects.

Like how the same spot on both of my trango s' came unstitched after three days of use. (they have fixed that problem).

The Salomon Pro Ice fit great and very durable…however they have a serious problem with the 4 eyelid on top of the boots I have return them twice to Salomon to repair/exchange they just too fragile and break easily the only way I will do the Salomon again will be as soon as I get them I will get to the shoe repair man and have him put grommets on instead of the eyelid …but do u want to do that for a brand new boots ($300) sometime yes b/c the boots are superior otherwise to the Trango S extreme they build better(scan the eyelids) …one piece leather, MINIMAL SEAMS, more pronounce crampons edges, better insulation and fit better all for all way better boots cantfocus.gif

So now I have it narrowed down to the pro ice and the SM experts. They fit about the same. The only differences I have noticed is the SM Experts rand comes up higher, and is super thick on the instep, which prolly keeps down crampon wear, it has less ankle flex, and the leather on the lower is a true one piece that comes all the way up to the top (the tounge are is sort of open on the pro ice).

So now I can't decide. They both fit fine, but the ankle flex is where I can't make a decision. It seems like flexy ankle is good for french technique, but a little support is nice when yer racking up the miles. I plan on using these boot for ice and winter alpine routes as well as slogging.

Colonel,

You can't go wrong with the SM Experts. I was apprehensive about buying them because I thought they would be too stiff for long approaches. It turned out they were just right. I wore them on slushy snow on Shuksan and my feet stayed completely dry. I also wore them in the wet brush on the approach to Dome Peak. My feet never got wet. I think I'm going to buy another pair ASAP. Did you find any good prices on them? If so, where?

how much variation in ankle flex can you get by changing how tight/how many eyelets you lace? Sometimes you can make a stiff boot less restrictive by lacing right, but you can never make a flexy boot more supportive.

I'd go for the one with the one piece tongue, since wearing gaiters bugs.

I have super mt 9, but NEVER lace the top hooks. I concur that you can get more flex depending on how tight you lace. I don't know the models you're looking at but if one is the same height as super 9, you'll be fine. I use mine all over including 2 days of snowshoing in Stehekin Valley. Took a little while to break in, but that's normal. If you know you have areas prone to blister, just pre tape for preventative maintainence.

• 1 year later...
Colonel,

You can't go wrong with the SM Experts. I was apprehensive about buying them because I thought they would be too stiff for long approaches. It turned out they were just right. I wore them on slushy snow on Shuksan and my feet stayed completely dry. I also wore them in the wet brush on the approach to Dome Peak. My feet never got wet. I think I'm going to buy another pair ASAP. Did you find any good prices on them? If so, where?

I am looking into a pair of the SM Experts (among others). I have a pair of Super Moutain 8's and love them. My #1 question is how well the Experts work on vertical ice? I need something that is versatile - something that will work for ice climbing (I'll never do anything too high end), mountaineering, and that is comfortable for the approach). Price is a major concern, and you can't beat the SM Expert's price.

Any problems with their durability?

I have super mt 9, but NEVER lace the top hooks. I concur that you can get more flex depending on how tight you lace. I don't know the models you're looking at but if one is the same height as super 9, you'll be fine.

To me, the Pro Ice is closer to the Super Mountain 9 than the Super Mountain Expert. At first glance the Expert looks bulkier and "clunkier", while the Pro Ice looks more streamlined. I'd probably get the Pro Ice to replace my SM 9's, although I suspect that they're stiffer than the Expert.