SanDiego boulders?

Jim

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The town of Santee has some excellent boulders. It's right across the street from the new high school were some kid freaked and capped some classmates.

The edges will peel your tips. And some highballs there are damn high.

I used to go there often when I lived in SD. But then I only lived a few miles from the rock.

Santee is great, and East Santee (aka Magnolia) is also good, but more obscure. I gather most of the boulders in the San Diego River bottom below Mission Gorge have been closed, which is a pity, but there are a few good things on the approach to Middle Earth there.

Or for another flavor try the soft sandstone on the beach between La Jolla Cove and The Children's Cove. If its warm, it'll be fun, though the rock is soft, rounded, and changes every season. Sometimes in the winter the sand washes away, leaving a beach full of boulders, which is considerably less attractive as a landing surface. Low tide is better too.

Mixed Climbing Mission Gorge has many routes that appear to be sport routes, because they are bolted, but they require placing one or more pieces of trad gear in addition to clipping bolts. Before you start up a bolted route, make sure you know whether it is "sport" or "mixed". Poway Crags has a few mixed routes as well.

And this whole time I was under the impression that mixed was rock-and-ice, but now I understand it's bolts+gear! hahaha.gif

Made it to Santee a couple of times in between work sessions. It's nice to boulder around outside in the sun! Made the locals laugh when I got the wind knocked out of me after falling on my back. Dusted off and got back on. Off to Belize tomorrow! Looking for reptiles and birds.