Etriers

EV

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

use 4, unless you plan superlight style like you are taking them one pitch of aid high up on a 10-pitch route

get the onsight karak-ourom aiders.

get a kong adjustable fifi. life will be easier. or use the "ropeman fifi" method outlined in climbing mag tech tip last year.

i agree with will, the karak-ouroms are ladder style. ladder style webbing aiders are way easier to use with plastic boots on, the only time i usually go aiding is when the weather sucks for free climbing anyways...

i find it hard enough to top step with 2 aiders on a piece wouldn't want to try it off balance with only one.

Using 4 aiders is slower but more comfortable. I learnt with 4 but once I got comfortable I moved on to a 3 aiders system. My third aider isn't connected to my daisies and only has 2 or 3 steps. I only use the third in akward aid and hard pitches. This method is quicker and less bulky than 4 but still just as comfortable.

I also use the Russian aiders made by trango. They totally rock. They are lighter, less bulky, easier to go from free to aid and aid to free. The only problem thay have is on really steap stuff. Other than that problem I think they are superior to the regular get up.

Dru is right about the kong adjustable fifi hook. It is the only way to go. I use that thing like a third hand.

If you go with the standard method I would recomend the metolius aiders. They have good sub steps and are a little lighter than the bd ones. The metolius also cover the same distance in 4 steps as a 5 step bd aider. This makes you move a little quicker.

Don't be scared to try something different like the Trango setup.

-Mike

the adjustable fifi is on a piece of cord, you dont put it on the daisy, you put it on the piece and tighten it up as you step up, then slack it a bit and top step. kicks ass on overhangs. no more pumping out to move your hook up one hole on the daisy on an overhang.

ive seen euros using a regular cliffhanger as a fifi. hee hee.

Re: the adjustable fifi

You can get basically the same effect by using "lazy chains" which are adjustable daisies, but they will start to slip after a while and require replacement. The advantage of this is one less piece in the aid-climbing cluster as well as eliminating the the hook (which snags things and requires moving in and out of pieces) altogther. Almost everyone I know who has tried the lazy chain method loves it.

The adjustable aiders are another story, not recommended by anoyone I know who's tried them.

I use 4 BD 6 step aiders. I clip each pair with a keylock biner to a daisy. I also use a Metolius adjustable daisy. I use the adjustable for really steep stuff, or roofs. On my big wall harness there are two fifis, one for resting on the 4th step, the other for top stepping.