La Sportiva Nuptse opinions

Desey

I have read everythinng on this site and spent countless hours on the web... I am only a little less confused than before I started this boot search...

What does everyone think of the new LS Nuptse?? has anyone actually worn this boot??

I have a med to narrow foot and get cold feet easily.. also hate bouble plastics... they just feel too clunky.

Have already eliminated the Salomon Pro thermics due to lesser quality.

The ICE 9000 would be a consideration but I am not convinced that this boot will ever see the light of day. Got to get a new pair my March 1 to start breaking in.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Desey,

My all-time favorite mountain boots are my La Sportiva K2's. (Leather inners!)

My love for my K2's led me to buy a pair of LS Nepal Extremes when I was looking to replace my plastics. Big Mistake! They are too soft in the ankle, and my feet go numb at about 15 degrees f.

The moral of my story, I guess, is that boots (leather, anyway) are the biggest gamble you'll ever take re: gear. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to brand/fit/comfort and no way to predict your final level of satisfaction. Good luck.

Just my .02.

I just got a pair of Technica Altitude Plus' for less than half price (they are discontinued). Insulated, non leather yet beefy, but not too beefy. They are also easy to get tight, almost too easy, which is rare. Try them on if you find apiar that fits.

You can't really shop for boots online, you gotta try stuff on and see how it feels on your foot. I know this may be tough if you don't have any shops nearby, but it's the only real way to choose the boot that is best for you. Good Luck. bigdrink.gif

Well I used the new sportiva Jannu on a Mt washington, NH climb and ice climbing for a week early January with good weather 11 deg F average. They were kinda warm but my feet soaked the boots the first hour on the approach as they do not breath at all and the gaitor was like a sponge. also sportiva should have made the top of the gaitor breathable not coated curdura like they did so they wont hold all the moister. The boots never dried out the whole time I used them. You have to use a VBL with these boots...one other thing i did not like about them was the insulation on the gaitor only goes to the rand..under the rand (around the toes) has no insulation. The old Onesport jannu did not have this problem as it was fully insulated...On the good side they are kinda light, very very comfortable, and have quite a bit of flex...but they have a steel shank (old technology) that even though is supposed to be insulated I bet conducts cold..why did they just not put a plastic one or that ibo thermo stuff...I think the nuptse would be a better boot (warmer easier to dry) attached is a photo of me with the jannus...I think they are the ugliest Moon boots...my climbing partner said I looked like some wierd euro with them on..

63.jpg

I would wait and go with the nuptse over the jannu...I think the ice 9000 would be warmer even yet but very expensive...I was going to get the nuptse to replace the jannus but now I just will use my trango ice boots with over boots if it gets cold..seems like a good combination so far...good luck with your boot hunt....dan

Edited by iceaxe23