BEST MARTINI

sk

Thinker - Yes. Especially if you have experience writing grant requests. Maybe we could get this whole thing funded!!!

Oh, for those who don't like Brandy, try a nice port. Fonseca Bin No. 27 is nice. I've heard that Warre's Warrior port is good, too.

Edited by Greg_W

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that, when out camping on a ski tour, brandy is just about always much more popular than Scotch or Tequila -- even if everyone said before the trip that they liked tequila or scotch better and even if I bring the good stuff. Is this because when the body is already chilled you don't want to drink certain kinds of booze as much??

An interesting report from here

Glassware is always a hot topic at tastings that I conduct. The reason is simple, I use one type of glass for spirits and fortified wines. A narrow-bowled wine glass or a Spanish copita, the traditional fino sherry glass used in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. I have been urging readers and tasting participants to get away from using snifters for their brandies and whiskies because, aside from the fact that they're bloody ugly, they do nothing to enhance the aroma of spirits. In fact, the shape of a fat snifter actually forces the smell of any spirit to dissipate too quickly, thereby robbing the drinker of one of the most important stages of enjoyment. A glass with a narrow, cylindrical bowl funnels the aroma straight up into the nasal cavity. Think narrow and cylindrical, not broad and open.

Also in the same vein and against custom, do not warm your brandies and whiskies with your hands or, worse, over a candle flame. Heat forces the aromatic properties to break up and vaporize too rapidly. There must have been a think tank of imbeciles decades ago which existed to create these outlandish and totally wrong serving rituals, like warming spirits and serving them in balloon glasses. Give me strength. Perhaps these numbskulls imbibed too much to think clearly.

Call me a creature of habit, but I likewise find the Spanish copita to be the glass of choice for all fortified wines, not just sherry. Since I put such highly valued stock on my ability to smell, this type of glass, which accentuates the aroma of any libation, suits me best. If you are a fan of snifters, then so be it. Just stay out of the city in which I'm living.

For liqueurs and superpremium tequilas and vodkas taken neat, I recommend very small one or two ounce cordial or shot glasses to concentrate the aromas and flavors. Small compartments heighten the intensity of liqueurs, tequilas, and vodkas. And, since only minute amounts of liqueurs and top grade tequilas and vodkas should be served, cordial and shot glasses are perfect.

Serving temperatures for whiskies and brandies should be slightly warmer than cellar temperature. I suggest that fine whiskies and brandies be served at between 55 - 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Ports, oloroso and cream cherry, and madeiras should be served at cellar temperature, which is 48 - 55 degress Fahrenheit. Fino and manzanilla sherry should be served ice cold at 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Amontillado sherry at slightly below cellar temperature.

Vodkas, rums, gins, and tequilas served be served ice cold, except for when they are meant to be enjoyed neat. As a shot, tequila and vodka should be served at cellar temperature. Another myth is that vodka should be served ice cold. I don't hold to that because severe cold takes away the aroma. Liqueurs are at their best anywhere from 55 - 62 degrees Fahrenheit, except for cream-based liqueurs which should be served chilled (50 - 55 degrees) but not ice cold. Fruit brandies and eaux-de-vie should be served at cellar temperature.

I have found that, when out camping on a ski tour, brandy is just about always much more popular than Scotch or Tequila -- even everyone said before the trip that they liked tequila or scotch better and even if I bring the good stuff. Is this because when the body is already chilled you don't want to drink certain kinds of booze as much??

Dude, The first time I broke out the brandy on the glacier my partners went ape sh*t over it. I was just some cheap old E&J, but it tasted heavenly for some reason. I've had less than average response with really good red wine, vodka, and tequilla on the snow, too. However, the day I broke out a bottle of Hussongs Reposado (tequilla) at Smith they were all over it. Not sure what all the cause and effect relationships are....could be an interesting study.

Oh, for those who don't like Brandy, try a nice port. Fonseca Bin No. 27 is nice. I've heard that Warre's Warrior port is good, too.

The Warrior and the Fonseca are pretty solid bets for Ruby Ports. The Doctor has found Tawny Port to be more enjoyable on the whole; a more subtle flavor with elements like baking spices, vanilla, and chocolate, and generally a bit more complex. The Sandeman Tawny is quite tasty for around twelve bucks, as well as Whiskers Blake (Australia) which has a very unique flavor. And if you're willing to spend a bit more, the aged Tawnies are outstanding. The Doctor is currently enjoying a Taylor Fladgate 10 year Tawny that is divine.

Thinker - Yes. Especially if you have experience writing grant requests. Maybe we could get this whole thing funded!!!

I'm all over it. I suspect we may have difficulty getting funding for it, though. We may be better off hosting an tasting invitational where we supply the glassware, ice, water, and a bottle or 2 and invite folks to join us as long as they bring a bottle too.

This could be FUN!

Matt, Minx, r u in? <edit> Doc?

Edited by Thinker

A pull off a fresh Sigg bottle filled with hundred proof Stoly just pulled from a hole in the snow at the Lower Saddle in the Tetons as the sun is setting.

That's the best martini I ever had.

It was ever so slightly enhanced by the tokes given to us by the two dudes who were doing the Black Ice/West Face as exchange for the martinis.

I'm more worried about what type of warehouse environment those cases sit it. Moreso in the summer, I guess. Nothing like sitting in 100-F heat to really work on a fine wine or port.

Will the high temps do that? 'Cause the Doctor has picked up at least three different bottles of Port from Fred Meyer that were obviously bad for some reason, although one of them was sporting some mold on the cork. So DFA doesn't buy Port at the Fred Shed anymore.

Well, DFA thought of taking it back, but it felt weird bringing food (close enough) back. Call the Doctor stupid, (go ahead, do it!), but he just let it be.

But the temperature thing makes sense, though. How are you going to find out if the shit's been roasting in some warehouse, though? Portugal's a long ways away, after all.

Is that different than a Brandy Alexander?

I thought that was a creamy thing blended??? maybe I am thinking a frozen golden cadalac????

I have no idea, I was just trying to sound worldly by spewing out the only "brandy" named drink I've heard of.

By the way, good job on starting this kick ass thread, Muffy. Certain parties may be planning a tasting shindig; drop me or thinker a pm if interested.

About this colder = better thing. I want to hear more. Is that just true for Vodka, which really doesn't have much flavor? I'm more into Scotch, and I know that the ice is said to "release" the flavor, and it certainly makes it much smoother, but is that maybe because I actually don't like Scotch in the first place so if I dull it down it becomes more palatable? And what about brandy -- you don't serve that cold. What is the theory behind all of this?

I have heard that mixed drinks were pretty much invented during prohibition and that the purpose of most cocktails is to hide the bad flavor of prohibition-era liquor.

Damn I fell Behind, so i gotta say a few things.

Regarding shaking: True the ice isn't in contact with the vodka or gin for long, but your hand is in contact with the metal and the metal transfers heat rather fast. Haven't you ever seen a bartender pour a martini that's a little short, so they just shake it some more and squeeze out a little extra. I think the bruising thing a a big line of horseshit, though I've heard it tossed around.

Scotch temperature: Colder is not necessaritly better, meanining over rocks or something. When drinking good scotch many prefer a single cube. It tends to not be too much but not too little.

If you want to party for real get some genuine absenthe, the wormwood will get you all f'd up (though garanteed to be followed by a severe hangover).

I like scotch. Right now my favorite is Laphroag, when I got money to burn

laphroag.jpg

This'll get you laid:

Ice

2 fluid ounces Godiva chocolate liqueur

1 1/2 fluid ounces vodka

1/2 ounce grated chocolate

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the chocolate liqueur and vodka to the shaker. Shake briskly to mix and chill. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the chocolate.