[TR] Argonaut Peak - NE Couloir 5/31/2013

Matt Lemke

Trip: Argonaut Peak - NE Couloir

Date: 5/31/2013

Trip Report:

Climbed Argonaut Peak yesterday with Daniel via the NE couloir. Fresh snow thwarted our initial plan of climbing the NW arete but we had lots of fun anyways. Snow in excellent shape but many of the rock routes may need to wait a bit for this recent snow to melt.

We descended the east gully after a couple 30 meter raps and a traverse across a wet ledge. The 2,500 foot glissade down the Colchuck glacier was incredible! Beautiful day out with great views. See the link below for more details and photos.

Argonaut Peak NE Couloir

Approach Notes: Stay on the talus 100 feet above and to the west of Mountaineer creek when you leave the trail...cairns mark the way well

Edited by Matt Lemke

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 98% sure Argonaut is the one on the right. Pic was taken Saturday from Crowbar Crag up the Icicle.leav_041.JPG

I think you are correct. Argonaut is the small looking peak on the very right. The high, hanging snowfield is a give away.

Good climbing with you Matt. It was definetly a fun trip with some good conditions and a good call on the NE coulier instead of the NW arete. Hopefully we can do it again sometime.

Here are a couple of ass shots of you instead of me.

DSCN7869.JPG

Approaching the first constirction in the coulier were we set up an anchor and started roped climbing.

DSCN7872.JPG

Matt Leading in the coulier.

I have to say my favorite picture in the summit post report is of me crossing the wet ledge on the descent where I make it look like almost vertical terrain that is probably only 20 or 30 degree rock. Deathdefying! :crazy:

Great report.