State Employee Total Comp Database...

JayB

http://www.biaw.com/WAStateEmployeeWages.aspx

Enjoy.

The new poor abound. All it takes is plugging terms like "administrative" into the search function to find them...

"Dept of Social and Health Services B*******, J***** M. Title:

ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 2

Base Comp: $74,220

Benefits: $22,266

Paid Time Off: $17,367

Total Comp: $113,853"

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you asked, Carl, I have to wonder about a state of affairs where public money is so tight that without a tax increase we'll evidently have to start curtailing the delivery of essential services to the most vulnerable segments of the population...while there are scores of $100K plus "administrative assistant II's" on the state payroll, and talk of curtailing the pay and benefits that constitute 60% of all spending is evidently off the table.*

If she was in the private sector, I could care less - but when we're talking about public money that could be put to any number of different uses in this state, that's a different story.

BTW - Should be fun searching under "corrections." Have a look for yourself.

*http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011003705_stateworkers07m.html

"Public employee compensation accounts for 60% of total spending

OLYMPIA — It's the state's single biggest expense, but the last thing many lawmakers want to take on.

Wages and benefits for teachers and state workers make up 60 percent of the budget. Yet, even in the face of a $2.6 billion shortfall, it's unlikely that the Legislature will fire a big chunk of the state work force, or whack their salaries...."

Without knowing too many specifics it's possible that some fat could be trimmed (esp. among higher wages like McGinn was suggesting to do in Seattle) but it's likely nowhere close to what is needed. Cutting significantly into that 60% share of the spending demands cutting essential services and it is likely not the choice that people want to make.

Without knowing too many specifics it's possible that some fat could be trimmed (esp. among higher wages like McGinn was suggesting to do in Seattle) but it's likely nowhere close to what is needed. Cutting significantly into that 60% share of the spending demands cutting essential services and it is likely not the choice that people want to make.

The only problem is that essential services are being cut instead of cutting fat. Did you notice the Op-ed piece in today's Times about the coverage for medical translators under Medicaid?

If she was in the private sector, I could care less - but when we're talking about public money that could be put to any number of different uses in this state, that's a different story.

Ever worked at a company that cut pay/laidoff? Everyone who can leaves, and leaves quick, leaving more unmotivated shit than you had before. The public sector is no different.

So this is back to you expect government to run competently and expect the people who do it to be paid nothing. Yet more entitlement.

The only problem is that essential services are being cut instead of cutting fat. Did you notice the Op-ed piece in today's Times about the coverage for medical translators under Medicaid?

Here's something that would shave a fair bit off of that admin's compensation... health care reform.

Ever worked at a company that cut pay/laidoff? Everyone who can leaves, and leaves quick, leaving more unmotivated shit than you had before. The public sector is no different.

So this is back to you expect government to run competently and expect the people who do it to be paid nothing. Yet more entitlement.

Yes. IMO it depends on who gets cut and a combination of everyone's sense of the company's/industry's long term prospects, and their own prospects.

An "administrative assistant II" with a $100k + total comp package isn't going anywhere. Hack 20% off of her pay, convert to a defined contribution plan, and make her pay as much for her health benefits as the rest of us and...she's not going anywhere. Ditto for the dudes filling cracks and potholes, etc, etc, etc.

Somehow private businesses manage to recruit and retain employees despite the fact that the folks they hire having to finance their own retirements, may be subject to layoffs if the business climate changes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If you're still concerned about the threat that undercompensation poses for the public sector, take a look at what happens when average fireman or ferry worker position opens up...

Here's something that would shave a fair bit off of that admin's compensation... health care reform.

Agreed - she could easily get a high-deductible plan in the private market for less than a third of that..

Im a government employee and all my freinds/family make more than i do. yes i have good medical coverage but ive always made sure who i work for does and we all should have some form of medical coverage job or no job. yes i take vacations. fuck if Im going to apoligize for that. I also made sure my previous employers new i would need 4-6 weeks off per year paid or not. we americans take way to little vacations 2 weeks!average yes i have a pension plan but they slowly been eating away at that so i do suplement it with my own $

did you forget that "cutting fat" only affected the expense part of the budget, while it left the revenue part unchanged. As we all know there are many ways to increase revenue like getting rid of tax breaks and closing loopholes, clamping down on tax heavens, increasing taxes on the uber-wealthy who are unaffected by the crisis, etc ...

Im a government employee and all my freinds/family make more than i do. yes i have good medical coverage but ive always made sure who i work for does and we all should have some form of medical coverage job or no job. yes i take vacations. fuck if Im going to apoligize for that. I also made sure my previous employers new i would need 4-6 weeks off per year paid or not. we americans take way to little vacations 2 weeks!average yes i have a pension plan but they slowly been eating away at that so i do suplement it with my own $

YOU'RE DRAGGING AMERICA DOWN!!! OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS ARE LEAVING LIKE FLIES!! REPENT!!!

I also made sure my previous employers new i would need 4-6 weeks off per year paid or not.

Well, thank God spelling isn't a requirement for state employment! Dictating the terms of your vacation from day one anywhere else wold get you laughed out the door.

yes i have a pension plan but they slowly been eating away at that so i do suplement it with my own $

Self reliance! Gasp! Private sector pension plans often consist of 401k contributions and, occasionally, a modest match from the employer. Not sure why you believe you're entitled to a golden blanket while the rest of us are true partners with our employers in this regard.

Thanks for the post but, frankly, you sound like part of the problem.

yes i am a bad speller, my job dose not reqiure that much computer/paper work. im not entitield, i worked 20+ years in the private sector but they[gov] offered me something better, its the american way. and if a private company offered me better yet im sure i would go their. and in case you couldnt comprehend, i said i did ask and get 4-6 weeks off in the privant sector

Edited by kukuzka1

well skrew it then, let all the criminals go, close the libaries cut education to the bone,close any welfare/social programs, let em fend for themselves in fact everybody fend for themselvs!

Spoken like a true believer in his own sense of entitlement. :rolleyes: How 'bout we tear up any and all prior conditions/contracts for state workers and put them on a performance-based system like the rest of us?

Well, thank God spelling isn't a requirement for state employment! Dictating the terms of your vacation from day one anywhere else wold get you laughed out the door.

Hardly - that is more than negotiable at the right company :)

"performance based pay" can be a pretty shitty means of compensation - see several FT/WSJ opeds recently.

hey, im not saying theres not some lazy/bad gov employees, just like in the private sector,and It is harder to get rid of them but on the flip side, it can work for you.example-if your boss just dosent like you personaly, you have protection against him just fireing you for nothing to do with the job